Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

how important is ARC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: how important is ARC?

Hmmm, I have a 1600 and with a push of the front button get angle and temperature.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Hmmm, I have a 1600 and with a push of the front button get angle and temperature.
What model of the 1600 do you have? My thinking is i'll have to calculate for my turret adjustment anyways. So if I have the angle then it won't be hard to punch that in as well
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

If the CRF gives you the slope then I think I would go that route. The 1600B bc part is only good for 500 yards anyway. I do think it is a nice feature and if you have it set up correctly will give a good results for a quick adjustment. For example, if I input a ballistic selection close to my DOPE I can range anything to the 500 mark and get a solution that will be accurate for hunting. This will take into account, ABP, Temp, Slope, Range, and bullet drop. I can set the unit on MOA and it will give me a MOA solution to dial on the scope.

I failed to test it this weekend, just flat forgot. I need to set the unit on a BC program and see if it still ranges past the maximum solution yardage. For example I ranged a group of rocks at 1982 yards on the standard setting. I am not sure if it will do that on the BC setting.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

That makes sense. That's why my Bushnell arc will only range to 1000yards on the arc mode but will range further on normal mode. I have had great results with the Bushnell on trees and rocks out to 1000 but I can't pick up a deer, cow, or elk past 600 this is why im hoping the leica will be better for ranging the actual animal.
I mostly hunt flat desert sage country so there really isn't enough angle to make much of a difference below 500my yards in most senerios for me.

Can anyone confirm for me if the normal 1600crf will tell you the angle. But just doesn't figure the "hold to" yardage? I haven't had time to look for myself
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

Yes the leica crf 1600 will give you the angle of object ranged.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

And temperature, and barometric pressure
Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Perfect! The B that cuts yardage would be nice but not needed in my opinion for my used. Thanks for the help everyone.

Can anyone share how well the lace ranges on a deer in flat country? Maybe in the worst case senerio really bright day or fog ect