Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

how important is ARC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

how important is ARC?

I have a Bushnell 1500 arc right now but I want to upgrade to a leica 1600, if I've read it right the CRF series does not have angle compensation but the new 1600-B series does... well the difference is 600$-800$. Im on a budget and would really like to pay 600$ lol...
a friend of mine doesn't have the arc and says unless it's extreme up or downhill he just dials for the exact distance and aims low. Depending how low depends on his shot angle but he gives it an educated guess.
just looking for more opinions. Do I get the CRF and hold my wet finger in the air to decide how many yards to cut or do I save for technology
I already know what is the better out of the two. Just trying to decide if its worth the extra money
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: how important is ARC?

I have the Leica 1600B. It's worth it to me. I personally think guessing is unethical and irresponsible. If you are shooting LR get the gizmo's that go along with it and make your shots on animals be as accurate and feasible as possible. There is another thread where there is a little debate going on about the accuracy of angle compensation. The idea is that normal angle compensation theory and math is not accurate for extreme angles. I am thinking anything less than 25 degrees is going to fine with a ARC if the theory about the accuracy is correct. I don't now about the other Leica's but the 1600B does have slope angle, temp, and absolute barometric pressure as well. These are the things I use to input into my computer to give me a solid shooter result.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

I guess I would think the regular 1600 would be fine. I bought it. I figure guys have been having a lot of success with it before the 1600-B came out. Is the B version better, most likely. Is it required, probably not.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Gold Member

DOn't worry about ARC, most ballistic programs you can enter the angle of the shot anyways, so just get a angle gauge and attach to the rifle or scope.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

So an angle guage or Angle Cosine Indicator and mount cost how much? $200?

Perhaps the most important question at this time is what range are you shooting, what sort of scope do you have, MOA, BDC, etc. Do you have a computer? I assume you do not since you mentioned using the kentucky windage or good ol guesstimation process.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Gold Member

The crf1600 will give you the angle of the shot it just wont correct for it. If you shoot modest ranges shot angles under 10 deg dont have alot of effect. For instance a -10 degree shot at 600yds for my 308 load is about .3 moa. IMO the crf 1600 and a calculator will do just fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Silver Member

Sorry for the delayed response I lost internet service for a while. Thanks for all the replies.

Brent I was joking when I was talking about holding my finger in the air for windage.
as for distances I shoot to 1000 at the range but I think as for now 800 would be my max in a hunting scenario in perfect conditions. I use MOA turrets and I do have a accurate ballistics calculator on my phone that will adjust for angle. I was unaware that the 1600CRF will tell the angle Slope so really I will have to type the yardage into my calculator anyways and if the crf gives the angle then I really see no need to spend the extra money.
Please correct me if im wrong anywhere? Thanks