Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How to Identify optics problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 AM

How to Identify optics problems?

I have a 7mm RM in a sendero SF with a leupold mark4 PR 4.5-14x40 30mm SF. I loaded up 3 162gr hornady sst bullets with 63.5 of rl 22 shot dead on on the first shot, low on second, a little left on the third. Loaded up 65 grains of rl 22 on the next day, cleaned my barrel, and taped new target over the old one. Shots 1,2,and 3 went in the same holes as 1,2,and 3 of the prior day. I looked through old targets and there is a significant history of this gun doing this. This gun almost always places the first second and third holes in the same places at the start of a new day. Is this optics problems? Shoots no more than a 1inch group most of the time and occasionally 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups with really light loads.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

Re: How to Identify optics problems?

I thnk I'd look more to bedding or loose action screws if this is a constant problem. Also, what does it do after the first 3 shots ?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Doesn't sound like a scope problem to me. How deep are you cleaning? Bare metal?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Do you clean after every trip to the range? I found I was over doing the cleaning and it took a few rounds to settle it down, I stopped stipping it all the way down everytime I clean and the last patch is Kroil and it seems that now that that has gone away but I ahve only done it twice but it got rid of my cold bore shot going slightly low and left. Other than that, bedding or how you settle down while shooting.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Bronze Member

I have a 7mm mag that does almost the same thing with a clean barrel. It will string the first three shots and then group 5/8" until the barrel gets real dirty maybe 50 to 60 rounds later. You might try shooting with a fowled barrel.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamb4 View Post
I have a 7mm mag that does almost the same thing with a clean barrel. It will string the first three shots and then group 5/8" until the barrel gets real dirty maybe 50 to 60 rounds later. You might try shooting with a fowled barrel.

+1 to the, "too clean of a barrel."

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM

It does this if it is clean or dirty. The more shots in one session it settled into a pretty tight group, but the group is to the left. Like I said, the first shot of each day goes in the same hole 95% of the time. The action and floor plate is bedded. The recoil lug is bedded in the rear and .010" from front and bottom. It really seems strange that it will duplicate shots shots like this. I've made three quick shots at times and waited up to 30 min. between shots at times with no difference. Something is settling back to origional condition, but it takes a long time(>30min) to do it.