Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

How far is too far for a .243?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 9
How far is too far for a .243?

Hi all,

I was wondering how far you would consider too far for a .243?

This is shooting at a deer.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,782
re: How far is too far for a .243?

The answer could be as simple as 500 yards using Hornady 100 gr. Bullet factory ammo.

And as complicated as:
Depends on the rifle accuracy, Shooter's ability to perform, bullet that you're using with the right rifle twist, altitude, wind velocity, muzzle velocity etc... etc... etc...

The first answer only takes in consideration the impact energy at see level at the muzzle velocity of 3100 fps.
__________________
-----------------------------

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OHIO
Posts: 2,419
re: How far is too far for a .243?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbymcrae View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering how far you would consider too far for a .243?

This is shooting at a deer.
Really subjective. There's no doubt the 243/6mm bullets kill deer very well. My issue is what I've personally experienced along side a friend who loves his little 243. While on the property line hunting whitetails on a lease, he shot a really nice buck right through the lungs with Hornady factory ammo. It was their standard interloct ammo I think. The shot distance was around 50 yards or so. That buck ran a long way down the mountain onto the next lease where another hunter put it down with his 300 even though the deer was "dead on his feet." My friend didn't get to claim that buck.

I know this is only one instance and I don't want to debate any kill-ability as I've seen many other deer drop in their tracks from a 243 or 6mm Remington. I need no convincing of its lethality. Who knows, I think had it placed the bullet sqaure in the shoulder, it would have dumped it but he's one of those "meat guys."

I've talked with a guide who has seen and personally killed adult elk at 1000 yards with a 243/Berger combo, so I would assume that a deer will also be easily taken at that distance too.
__________________
Derek M.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
Posts: 4,389
re: How far is too far for a .243?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Really subjective. There's no doubt the 243/6mm bullets kill deer very well. My issue is what I've personally experienced along side a friend who loves his little 243. While on the property line hunting whitetails on a lease, he shot a really nice buck right through the lungs with Hornady factory ammo. It was their standard interloct ammo I think. The shot distance was around 50 yards or so. That buck ran a long way down the mountain onto the next lease where another hunter put it down with his 300 even though the deer was "dead on his feet." My friend didn't get to claim that buck.

I know this is only one instance and I don't want to debate any kill-ability as I've seen many other deer drop in their tracks from a 243 or 6mm Remington. I need no convincing of its lethality. Who knows, I think had it placed the bullet sqaure in the shoulder, it would have dumped it but he's one of those "meat guys."

I've talked with a guide who has seen and personally killed adult elk at 1000 yards with a 243/Berger combo, so I would assume that a deer will also be easily taken at that distance too.
I thought by the rules of hunting the animal belongs to who ever inflicts the first mortal wound?
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,033
re: How far is too far for a .243?

For me it is the construction of the bullet. One guy on here from England shoots Roe deer out to 800yrds using 87 A-max. That would be due to light bullet construction. At those distances they will open up like a premium bullet and not explode, but anything closer than 2 or 300 yards then you are looking at violent expansion. So along with everybody else, a lot of variables. Altitude contributes to the effective distance as well.

Tank
__________________
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OHIO
Posts: 2,419
Re: How far is too far for a .243?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
I thought by the rules of hunting the animal belongs to who ever inflicts the first mortal wound?
Tell that to a hunter who has a nice whitetail jogging by, he shoots it, and it crumbles in front of him, even though he heard a rifle report seconds before. The game belongs to "whoever puts it down." For all he knew, my friend missed, since there was no evidence this buck was hit at the time he shot it.

That 6mm bullet makes a very tiny hole in and out.

Just curious but do you think someone is going to relinquish a really nice buck that he believes is dead because he shot it, regardless of it having a prior hole in the lungs? Sometimes hunting isn't always a friendly hobby and this guy pretty much had the attitude that my friend was SOL.
__________________
Derek M.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 162
Re: How far is too far for a .243?

I agree with Ican, First MORTAL wound claims the animal. As far as I am concerned the guy tha took the deer is in the wrong, If I downed an animal and got up to it and it had a hold through the chest I would let the guy who shot it first have it. As long as he showed up.
When I was 13 I had a nice 6 point bull elk walk out of a thicket 30 yards away from me. I put it down in its tracks. As I was getting ready to start gutting it I noticed tat it had been shot in the guts. Well, long story short after I finished gutting it an older man that was tracking it walks up and says. "man I thought this thing would never be found." I congratulated him and let him have the elk. In my mind he would have cought up to the bull sooner or later and put a kill shot in it. I just helped him out a bit.. IMHO thats the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 29.49%
46 Votes
NO - 55.13%
86 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 15.38%
24 Votes
Total Votes: 156
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC