Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How far really?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How far really?

I don't know what the actual percentage is, but it is very low I am sure. Although it's low currently, it is on the increase.

I've guided deer and antelope hunters for nearly 30 years, and I've only witnessed a handful of kills beyond 500 yds. I've witnessed alot of misses though, misses by guys that weren't prepared enough or practiced enough to make the shots they were attempting.

Granted, only the last few years has the "long range" thing really caught on. And the technology caught up enough that people are now making those long shot kills with far less time behind the gun than it required 10 or 15 years ago.
15 years ago, the only way to know where we had to aim at 700 yds was by shooting and practicing/keeping records at that distance ahead of time. We didn't have the ballistic programs or the rangefinders that would read that far.

Even today, I would bet a paycheck that most people attempting long distance shots are not properly prepared and consequently, there are way more long distance misses than hits. The new tech is nice, but it's got alot of people thinking they can do it without prior "homework" or practice.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbruce View Post
even today, i would bet a paycheck that most people attempting long distance shots are not properly prepared and consequently, there are way more long distance misses than hits. The new tech is nice, but it's got alot of people thinking they can do it without prior "homework" or practice.
so very true
Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Sponsor

It has been my experience that even in "long range circles" that the % of shooters that are consistantly taking game past 600 yards is small. This might be because of opportunity, ability or equipment. Some people setup to shoot long but most simply prepare to shoot long if the situtation requires it. We get alot of long shots because of terrain and we look for areas to shoot into that are other wise difficult or impossible to hunt.
On the military LE sniping - LE sniping is 99% a close range affair with a moving and partially obscured target. Engagements of 100 or 200 yards are possible and long shots in the airport scenerio are possible but I have not ever seen any reviews of shots longer than 200 yards in LE incidents.
The military guys I have talked with (Navy Dev Group, STA guys and Snipers attached to Range groups) are all pretty much of the same opinion, that most sniping currently consists of 600 yards and in, quick engagement simi urban sniping and 1000 yard + open country sniping. They all pretty much agree that the 600 yard work is their bread and butter so to speak but they have to have real 1200 yard + capability for certain work even though it makes up a fairly small percentage of their work load.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Just doing a lot of reading, talking with current military, and documentaries, the role of the sniper has changed. What use to be a one or two man crew is now a crew of three or more especially for urban environments. They have run into the problems of being ambushed from behind when held up in a building providing a support role. So they move in a little bigger group.

When in towns and cities their shots are from a 20 or 30 yards up to 600 depending on their position. One recorded sniper sat for an afternoon picking taliban off out to 600yrds watching down a street trying to run from building to building to get close enough (Via History channel). The need for better calibers other than the .308 Win. is why we see a lot of hype about the 338 Lapua and 300WM. They need that support much farther out than what they are use too. 50BMG sniper systems are being used quite often and with good effect.

Out in the field they have had to change tactics both at company level through military policy on fighting. The Taliban has learned that "most" soldiers can't hit much past 300m with the M16 and M4's. So the Taliban move back into a position just outside of effective range and launch their attacks with rockets, mortars and heavy machines guns. They know if they get too close they will more than likely be killed. So the Military has adopted squad level marksman for this purpose. They are usually issued an M14 highly modified or the M110 (I believe) for those long shots. These guys are supporting platoons and companies in excess of 600m. The battle field is now a long range battle verses traditional up close and personal battle.

Sniper teams have been deployed in higher numbers for this war than any other war that I can think of. The necessity of shooting 800m plus is in a much higher demand than ever. Because of the terrain it is also suitable to the snipers abilities.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 04-28-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate all the input.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

If you are talking about "all" hunters I would say the number is very, very small. If you are asking individuals on this site, the number will go up by a great deal although as others have said the percentage of shots over 600 is still quite small.

I usually manage to get at least one big game kill each fall that is over 600, but I am set up and looking for those kind of shots. Last fall for example I killed an elk at 605, an antelope at 815, and one at 935 then a whitetail at 340. That would make 75% of my kills last hunting season at 600+ yards. Normally it would be just the opposite with 4 or 5 critters killed under 600 and maybe 1 over. Obviously antelope provide lots of long range opportunities and I elk in some very open country in southern NM, so kind of like LTLR said in an earlier post, when I see them within 1000 yards (depending on conditions) I am going to shoot them rather than stalk closer.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Just doing a lot of reading, talking with current military, and documentaries, the role of the sniper has changed. What use to be a one or two man crew is now a crew of three or more especially for urban environments. They have run into the problems of being ambushed from behind when held up in a building providing a support role. So now they have teams of shooter/snipers, with coms, and armed rear support watching the doors.

When in towns and cities their shots are from a 20 or 30 yards up to 600 depending on their position. One recorded sniper sat for an afternoon picking taliban off out to 600yrds watching down a street trying to run from building to building to get close enough. The need for better calibers other than the .308 Win. is why we see a lot of hype about the 338 Lapua and 300WM. They need that support much farther out than what they are use too. 50BMG sniper systems are being used quite often and with good effect.

Out in the field they have had to change tactics both at company level through military policy on fighting. The taliban has learned that "most" soldiers can't hit much past 300m with the M16 and M4's. So the taliban move back into a position just outside of effective range and launch their attacks with rockets, mortars and heavy machines guns. They know if they get too close they will more than likely be killed. So the Military has adopted squad level marksman for this purpose. They are trained at sniper schools on shooting skills verses sniper tactics for stealth. They are usually issued an M14 highly modified or the M110 (I believe) for those long shots. These guys are able and regularly take shots in excess of 600m. The battle field is now a long range battle verses traditional up close and personal battle.

Sniper teams have been deployed in higher numbers for this war than any other war that I can think of. The necessity of shooting 800m plus is in a much higher demand than ever. Because of the terrain it is also suitable to the snipers abilities.

Tank
Sniper overwatch is now the norm in iraq. I will not devulge all the info and for my friends we should not continue the military side of this conversation. U all want to know but anyone has access to this site so let's just speculate and not inform anyone who doesn't need to know.