Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How far to kill an elk with a .243?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How far to kill an elk with a .243?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Alright now.... Don't be ragg'n on us over 45r's. Some of us are old enough to be your dad but still have enough common sense not to hunt Rhinos with a slingshot!
I know better than to ragg on the old boys. They taught me all I know, & probably forgot more than I have learned. I hunted with my grandpa when he was alive. My dad is still my huntin buddy, & my oldest son will join us this comming year in Elk camp. Aside from my son, I'm still the young buck of our Elk camp, (& still shot the smallest rifle of the bunch untill this coming year, & its still not the biggest in the bunch. I don't have anything to prove). I pack meat for the senior hunters of our group, cause that's how I was taught. But they also know better than to blow too much smoke.
Not that any of them would even consider the idea, but hey if they wanna shoot a .243 for elk that's fine. Limmit your shots, & range & opportunitys, & ill help pack meat. Wing one too far away for lack of a propper Elk rifle, & your on your own.
I have a great amount of respect for my elders. They taught me right. Use enough gun, & choose your shots wisley.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I know better than to ragg on the old boys. They taught me all I know, & probably forgot more than I have learned. I hunted with my grandpa when he was alive. My dad is still my huntin buddy, & my oldest son will join us this comming year in Elk camp. Aside from my son, I'm still the young buck of our Elk camp, (& still shot the smallest rifle of the bunch untill this coming year, & its still not the biggest in the bunch. I don't have anything to prove). I pack meat for the senior hunters of our group, cause that's how I was taught. But they also know better than to blow too much smoke.
Not that any of them would even consider the idea, but hey if they wanna shoot a .243 for elk that's fine. Limmit your shots, & range & opportunitys, & ill help pack meat. Wing one too far away for lack of a propper Elk rifle, & your on your own.
I have a great amount of respect for my elders. They taught me right. Use enough gun, & choose your shots wisley.
You did get that I was just ribbing you didn't ya?

I just noticed your locale. I have some very good friends not far from you. Great country.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Wish I had a video of mine jumping up and running off after my 1010 yd. shot with a 6.5 this fall. It may have been far more educational.......Rich
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Wish I had a video of mine jumping up and running off after my 1010 yd. shot with a 6.5 this fall. It may have been far more educational.......Rich
And much more likely.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Id like to have watched "Part II". Thats where someone took that rifle by the barrel and beat both the girl shooting and her "coach" ( remind me to never ask that guys input for anything) about the head and shoulders for even attempting it.

Im sure that at the distance of 2 feet a killing shot with a 22 rimfire pistol could have been made......right between that elks eyes!

Like WildRose stated...just because you CAN doesnt mean its a good idea to do it and it sure as hell isnt very sportsman like.

Old thread.... but this is LONGRANGEHUTNING.COM right?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Bronze Member

I'm not gonna get into the ethics part of this discussion... But if you watch closely, you can actually follow the trajectory of her shot. Kinda cool if you ask me.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 PM

Shame Shame Shame....... on the peanut gallery. To each their own, someone on here said it best "magnumitis" There is no substitute for a well placed bullet....not even the baddest .338 plus magnums. Leave this gentleman and girl alone.

I'm so sick of these theological "piling-ons" which I'm sure every member here on "Long Range Hunting" knows all too well. The very similar comments posted about those of us who hunt from 300, 500, 1000 + yards by others who can barely hit a pie plate at 100 yards and believe themselves more ethical. You can argue either side of the "long range" debate the same as this silly business of cartridge size debate. It's stupid, counter productive, and makes us all look like we are dummies.

Sure a 100 yard shot is more sure than a 500 yrd, of course a .308 is more sure than a .243, of course you have to get closer with a bow than you do with a gun... To each their own........ Shame on the pompous arrogant jerks on here.. especially on the comment about beating the guy and girl over the head...