Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How far to kill an elk with a .243?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: How far to kill an elk with a .243?

If memory serves me right, there was a "Hunting show" on one of the outdoor channels a couple of years ago....they were touting the 6-284 with vld's as a long range elk killer. I mean true long range, as in 700 to 1000 yards!!!!

I wish I had taped that show so I could remember the name of the program.

Just so you know, I ran right out and baught a brand new 6-284 with the XYZ scope on it just to see!!! LOL
Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

you know this comes up all the time is this a big enough gun for elk.The problem with small calibers is there is no room for error and most people think there is. I have killed many and seen many elk killed with all sorts of calibers and most off your small caliber do OK with close range shouts and I'm talking under a 100yrds but that shout should have never been taken because if she missed the mark they would have never found it.The times I have guided hunters for elk most hunters I have taken with small calibers and large calibers with 150gr bullets and light we never find there elk or by the time we find them the grizzly's all ready have them so should you use a small caliber or a large caliber with a light bullet no no no no no no no no it's just stupid
Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpro440 View Post
Some guys just have no idea what there guns are capable of unless you practice shooting the distance. I have shot repeatably at 100 to 500 yards an I feel very confident on hitting anything out to 500 yds with a vital killing shot. As I am sure they too have practiced shooting at all distances an tuning there guns with there ammo to acheive that goal . So really can you find fault in the shot ? Seems to me they did what they set out to do by laying all the ground work first and making the shot . Takes alot of practice to get to that level.
No it doesn't.

I've taken literally dozens of people who couldn't hit their ass at two feet and in under two hours have them hitting consistently from 300-600yds.

If everything is already tested, proven, and dialed up a monkey can pull the trigger.

Hell I had my five and seven year old nieces hitting ten inch pie plates at 300yds with a 7mm Rem Mag the first time they ever pulled the trigger.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

I guess no one killed elk until the release of the 300 wby and H&H, the 30-30, 30-06, 250sav, 7x57, 8x57, 6.5x55, and 300sav have killed more wildlife effectively from the 1890s-1950s, then all the 338s combined. A crap shot with a 338 LM is no better than one with a 243. Yeah I like just about any caliber, they are all fun to shoot. If you know the ins and outs of your rifle and shoot it on a regular basis caliber should not start an argument. None of you can tell me an elk has never ran off from a big 338, stop judging and start shooting more often then you can decide if that kind of shot is for you or not.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Hey. my dad gave me a 243 vanguard when I was a kid. We hunted what is now know as wilderness. He told me to shoot elk in the head. Well I was a kid and it didnt always work out that way.And I chased a few down. That was my first gun and my sons also. Both of our fisrt elk where 5pt.bulls.Know I have had some time behind that rifle and have spent 1/2 my life bow hunting , so a 243 seams like a good bet to me. I would have no problem taking an elk with one at range 4-500. But I WOULD MUCH RATHER have my 340 wm or Norma. And if I have a lite gun the shot choice drops rapidly
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

40,000 years ago my ancestors on this continent were killing creatures that make our largest game animals look like puppies with rocks and sharp sticks.

That doesn't make it a good idea when we have better choices in weaponry available.

For the true hunter marksman choice of caliber is of far less consequence than proper bullet selection and shot placement.

I'm something of an expert at using inferior calibers to do thing they were never intended to be used for (see the attached photo .204 Ruger and hogs killed with it) and have done so quite successfully for a very long time. I will not however encourage others to do the same and think it's a very, very bad idea to do so.

This is a forum, we are here for discussion and no one has a right to try and silence these discussions except our host.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
How far to kill an elk with a .243?-dscf0784.jpg  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
the guide tells the girl to shoot the elk RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE...and later says RIGHT BEHIND THE SHOULDER... Others have stated that " it was a spine shot..hence the legs folding up underneath the cow so quickly."..???

Had she shot where told to...it would have been a "lunger" and of course a killing shot...but not the dramatic foldup that was videoed.
FWIW, I have watched many of John's videos and am pretty certain that the directions he gives her, ie hold in the center . . . . hold behind the shoulder, are 2 separate sets of directions. Meaning he tells her where to hold vertically and then where to hold horizontally. I have heard him do this on other videos too.

Not condoning the shot or the cartridge choice just pointing out that I don't think he was in any way being irresponsible in his coaching.

Scot E.