Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How far to kill an elk with a .243?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How far to kill an elk with a .243?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inpursuit View Post
I know the thread is getting long in the tooth, but, I find it amazing how much credit some give to a 264 of some type or the cats meow a 284 diameter something or other. A 264 is just a half mm larger and the 284 is a whopping full mm larger. The bullet design and velocity combined with weight when placed in the right place is the secret of success in taking animals. Would I use the 243 probably not but I wouldn't use the 7mikemike either. My preference would be probably a 308 or '06 with a Berger 178 vld. Just my opinion. Regardless, it was a good shot!
Try comparing energy between those calibers using the top weight ranges of high SD/BC bullets and you'll probably pretty quickly understand why they perform so much better.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I don't care how much you practice or how good or lucky you are. There is a live animal at the end of that shot. So Ethics should be your number one thought. Can I eithically kill the animal at this range with this round??? Yup she did. Sure was stupid though. Anything could have gone wrong. And had it gone wrong. Then it would have been a black eye on the entire long range hunting community.
If you wish to discuss the ethics of long range hunting you need to find another site to do it on.

Len's house, Len's Rules, that's not a subject we discuss here.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Many a Moose and Bear were taken with the 30-30 At the right distance and with a person that is confident with the Rifle that they are shooting ...................Good bullet good placement. I tend to lean towards the guy that is a savy hunter rather than the guy that can shoot at long distance. They usually dont run together so with that in mind ......................Id bet on the guy with the .243
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

I would be willing to bet you that the calibers that have probably killed the most animals in history would be a very close guess between the .30-30Win, and the .45-70 Gov't.

I like to be both the saavy hunter and the LR freak. You can be both, it just takes alot of years of hunting, practice, and skill-honing.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

I like to be both the saavy hunter and the LR freak. You can be both, it just takes alot of years of hunting, practice, and skill-honing.

+1
thing most folks have no idea about is LRH takes way more effort, than spot and stalk. Hell even after you get your shooting system lined out.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

Can you kill a elk with a .243?? Of course. Is it a good idea?? No , A .243 isn't even a good 200 yard elk rifle.. The energy at long range is pathetic.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM

There have been quite a few responses questioning whether using a .243 was a good choice some even questioning it ethically. I do not question whether the rifle can do the job assuming everything goes well but what I do struggle with is having the ability to effectively track this animal if a shot with a .243 was high in the shoulder which most likely would mean there would not be much of a blood trail. First they have to hike almost 700 yards over a lot of elevation change just to get to where the animal was hit and then you have to hope you can track it....this is where my questions begin....