Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How does sunlight affect your POI?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How does sunlight affect your POI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'd like to see some time laps video through a rifle scope locked on a target at a 1000yrds to see how things appeared to move through out the day. I don't know if I'm quite ready to by into this for hunting, I know sun conditions make a difference during target shooting but hunting is a little different, I almost never have mirage or much of any light issues. I'd like to see some numbers, how much MOA are guys seeing their POI change?
That's a great idea Big Green. Maybe then we could actually measure some sort amount of "movement". Everything I've read is more along the lines of perceived movement, but never any amounts. I saw shifts between 1/2 and 1 moa between cool cloudy days and warm bright sunny days at 950 yds with a 338 Edge, and that was taking into account all the environment parameters that the ballistic program would allow. Still questioning if it was a scope or ammo issue too though?

I actually saw the mirage come and "move the target" while I was preparing to shoot one time........talk about a wierd feeling, freakishly weird! But I only saw it happen once. Made me feel like I was falling over.

I've been told that alot of todays competitive benchrest shooters wont even fire when the mirage is boiling (nearly dead calm and sunny..?). IMHO, I think we should try to learn as much as possible from these long range competition shooters. I know that some of the stuff doesn't necessarily apply to hunting, but on the other hand; we only get one shot and have to make that one shot work no matter what the conditions are at the moment.

Last edited by SBruce; 11-08-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:00 PM
SPONSOR

Re: How does sunlight affect your POI?

The sun will affect your poi. I know a guy who sent a scope in b/c he thought it was walking around on him. After we went over his notes we realized that poi was always the same in the mornings, then different(but consistant) at midday and the same for late evenings. Keep good notes each time you go out as far as the suns position and light intensity and you will figure it out.