Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How do you choose the range you zero at?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

How do you choose the range you zero at?

I use a modified version of the MPR (Maximum Poinblank Range) method. Using Sierra Infinity software to determine MPR I round to the nearest zero range, ie for a given rifle and a 10" vitals zone MPR Zero=301yds and MPR=355yds. I then change to the regular trajectory mode and set my zero at 300yds, close enough and easier to verify zero when I go to the range. This lets me not have to consider any holdover until my range is beyond 355yds (beyond where most of my shots have ever come) and I can print out a range card that gives me bullet path clear to 1000yds (600 is sufficient for my skill level) in increments of 50yds. Using data from my range card I sight the rifle in 3.9 inches high at 100yds then verify at 300 and go hunting knowing I don't have to worry about hold over at any normal ranges but armed with the knowledge to shoot a little further if needed.

What do you do?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:52 AM
Miller Outdoors

Re: How do you choose the range you zero at?

I zero everything at 100 yards, except .22 lr which is 50 yards. I'm not interested in hitting 'somewhere' in a 10 inch vital - that's just not quite good enough - I want to dial in exact yardage using a rangefinder and the turret.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Outdoors View Post
I zero everything at 100 yards, except .22 lr which is 50 yards. I'm not interested in hitting 'somewhere' in a 10 inch vital - that's just not quite good enough - I want to dial in exact yardage using a rangefinder and the turret.

+1 on the above. That is what I do also.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

I take one shot at 100yrds measure and then move the turret for perfect windage as close to perfect vertical as I can then fire one more, if the windage is perfect and the elevation is high but under a couple inches I leave it and enter it into my ballistics program then verify. I do this all from my hunting position with hunting gear.
I used to try to sight in at a calculated high so I could shot to a certain distance without messing with stuff but I've done better worrying about getting windage spot on then leaving elevation alone as long as it's in a range. Using two spaced out shots to sight in gives me a good cold bore zero with no waste of time or ammo getting things perfect and the ballistics match much closer than any other way I've tried.
But I do not group shoot at 100yrd very well at all so for me this works best.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

I use maximum point blank range. For coyote hunting and groundhog huntin. I dial up for ghogs if past my pbr. Yotes come in fast and don't have time to mess with dials. But I only use a 3" above below range for both. I dial everything else but use a 200 yard zero.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

fj40mojo,
I sight all my rifles in for 300yd zeros, make drop charts out to 1000yds and use a range finder. JohnnyK.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

I 0 all of my long range rifles at 100 yards. My drop chart is in 50 yard increments out to 1000 yards then I go to 25 yard increments to 2500 yards all distances are in MOA + from 100 yards.