Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How do you carry a heavy cannon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How do you carry a heavy cannon?

Kifaru Gun Bearer-- http://www.kifaru.net/GUNBEAR.HTM

Works very well for me. I think it's more comfortable than slinging and faster to get in action in my experience. Weight is on the hips. Long barrels aren't as much of a problem because the buttstock is so low and can be adjusted up and down as needed. But, you have to buy an expensive Kifaru pack to get one...but I sure like mine.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-27-2005, 09:42 PM

Look at sloganoutdoors.com, I have had one of these slings for over two years and love it. You have probably seen it on the outdoor channel. It was on my 13.5lb 7mm mag and now sits on my Kirby/Lilja 338/300RUM. I don't know the weight but it has a 30in(plus QD brake) heavy barrel. The sling allows me to carry it 3/4 backpack. The only problem i've had is the swivel screw heads are too long to close my bipod so I shaved them a little. It's one of the best $25 I've ever spent.
I too have had a problem jumping deer up close but my problem is the 16X SS scope not the large rifle I carry. I usually carry two rifles any way. A short little auto and my cannon.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Gold Member

jmden,
Actually you don't have to buy a Kifaru pack you can just buy the Gunbearer seperately. I think they cost like $25 When I used a heavy rifle I used the gunbearer. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Boman, You're right! Sorry for the misinformation.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-02-2005, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the great responses. The land is near the Missouri river in Montana. I shot a fat little 3 pt at 717 yards and jumped four bucks 5 pts and bigger (never got a shot off as the cannon is too heavy - easy shots with my little 270 WSM). Hunting with my brother and nephew next year will help flushing. On Halloween I pitched my custom Kirby/Allen/300 RUM and took my 6.5 # 270 WSM, jumped another fat little 3pt and I had my two deer. I really need 2 guns for this country.

I carry a backpack with 1.5L of water (camel pack), binoc's, rangefinder, stoneyPt Sticks, food, GPS, camera, knife, additional clothing, two cell phones, chair (less than 1 lb).

I was really surprised that I used everything I carried, surprised that I could have used better binoculars and really surprised I never used the stoney Pt sticks on the farm (The harris bi-pod was not quit tall enough for is grass, I'll get a bigger one for next year).

I hunted in the mountains around my cabin and the sticks would have worked better there. I missed a fat 2 pt buck at 193 yards (aimed between his eyes and the 155gr SCENAR went right between his ears, (looking at my ballistics table latter))

Patience is the best approach, but between 10 AM until 2 hrs before dark I need to walk and kick a few animals up.

Next year I'll take one at over 1,000 yards. At one point I had deer completely surrounding me. I hope to break 1 mile in 3 years. Will it be one of my 50 BMGs, my 338 Kirby/Lilja/RUM or perhaps a Kirby 7mm Uber Mag.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

If you really want to carry two guns, then an alternative approach that might be a lot of fun would be one of those XP pistols or a TC contender. I personally am not good enough to hit the side of a barn from the inside with a pistol but it sure sounds like a lot of fun. I tried this many years ago with the 30 Herret in an early Contender and became frustrated with the scope mount slipping and my own ineptness and sold it.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:55 PM
PUBLISHER

Can someone please post a more complete picture of the Accuracy International biathlon sling mentioned above? I viewed the picture showing the sling's attachment at the top of the rifle. I'd like to see the rest of the sling and whether or where it attaches to the butt of the rifle. Thanks.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors