Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How to choose proper bullet weight for barrel twist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: How to choose proper bullet weight for barrel twist?

twist rates are for bullet length more than weight.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 AM

I will need to try a few different things, I really want to get this figured out and be able to shoot tighter groups than my dads 300 win mag that best of the west set up with a huskemaw scope and some boxes of ammunition.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrange_Newby View Post
I will need to try a few different things, I really want to get this figured out and be able to shoot tighter groups than my dads 300 win mag that best of the west set up with a huskemaw scope and some boxes of ammunition.
Not trying to shoot down your dreams, but if your dad has a custom gun with a high quality scope and custom ammunition for that gun, you probably won't ever shoot better with your factory encore. I'm not saying don't even try. You should try and get your gun to shoot as accurately as it can. You will also learn a lot about reloading while you test different things out. So go for it but if you want to base your success off of trying to make your factory gun shoot better than your dads custom gun then you had better prepare for failure . Instead base your success off of how well your reloads do for you and your gun and retain what you learn from doing it.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 AM

His is just a factory browning a-bolt stainless with a 26'' barrel with a huskemaw scope on it. He is shooting 190 gr berger VLD's. Dont know the load data but comparing his ballistic turrets compensation to my bullets ballistics according to the G7 calculator, they are very similar in trajectory. On my rifle I have the Leupold VXlll LR with the varmit reticle. Before the Leupold I had a Millet turret style scope and it fell apart after only a box of bullets.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Ahhh...ok. It the previous post it sounded like he had a custom gun. You should be able to catch up to him with reloads then!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 PM

Try some 180 Grain Hornady super performance roundso out of your 300 Win Mag. I just bought an ICON (yes they are bedded with free floating bbl) and I spent about $400 on different rounds (shared expense with another guy) and found out that the Hornady's shot the best, I mean ABSOLUTLY out performed any other factory premium load! I was amazed...I do realize that every gun likes different ammo...later on talking to the owner of our local gunshop/range, he mentioned to me the same thing. That he recommends customers to try the Hornady's if they are having problems getting their rifles to pattern their other favorite loads, 9 times out of 10 it works for them.