Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How to choose proper bullet weight for barrel twist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:42 PM

How to choose proper bullet weight for barrel twist?

I am shooting a T/C encore with a 28'' barrel 1:9 twist chambered in .300 Win mag. Currently I am shooting a 180gr Barnes triple shock boat tail federal factory load, the bullets seem to group very well at times then one or two will be 1 to 1.5 inches outside the group @ 100 yards. I am also getting started into reloading and was wondering if it is better to use a heavier bullet with such a tight twist rate, if that will help bring my groups in tighter.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to choose proper bullet weight for barrel twist?

sounds like more of a stress in the barrel/action issue. Is the action bedded?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
sounds like more of a stress in the barrel/action issue. Is the action bedded?
The T/C Encore is a single shot break barrel design!! You may only have to play with the OAL(Over all length) of your reloads to eliminate the flyers, or change bullet types. It also may be just the way you are with cheek weld grip of the rifle and the type of rest you are shooting off of!! Give us a little more detail as to how you are shooting, IE shooting from iPod rear bag off sand bags on the bench or what ever you are doing!! You can shoot the heavier pills out of that barrel for sure. Just some food for thought.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 PM

I am shooting from a bench the rifle is being supported under the forearm and butt, the stock is a eabco thumbhole laminate, I am shooting by only holding the rifle with one hand trying to minimize as much human error i can.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:52 PM

I forgot to mention I also shot 4 rounds of some older federal 180gr nosler partitions and the group was much tighter but the fps from those bullets is quite a bit less, and thats why I was wondering about a heavier bullet so I can retain the same or more energy with my fps being a lil slower which might stabalize or manage bullets flight
Old 03-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

All you can do is try the heavier bullets to see how they group. I don't think anyone can say use this or that bullet and your good to go!! Every gun likes different bullet, powder, primer combos. You could try to change the powder charge and see if that helps as well. That is all the fun of reloading and trying to find the best load that works for your particular rifle. Do you have or have access to a chronograph? Knowing what kind of extreme spreads you get will help to determin if there is something amiss. Try different seating depths and shoot them to see if you can tighten up the groups and not get the fliers!!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

haha... saw encore, thought icon. my bad.