Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

how bout a medium range gun for new guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 11:43 PM

how bout a medium range gun for new guy

Hi guys I already have a win model 100 in 308 that i use for close range hunting up to 250 yards. But i just came into a lil money and would like to find something to reach out and touch em'. I handload a 125 serria soft point that really puts deer down but is not very accurate in my 308. I could find a better load but this is a great woods combo. I love my dads old early 70 BDL 7mm rem mag with a worked load, lighter trigger, and hand bedbing; half inch @ 100 yds is no problem. I really like the low recoil of a 7mm rem and I already have all the reloading toys. I really prefer wood as in a new BDL but would like a heavier barrel, it seems that the new ones have a small contour or am i mistaken. i have shot my brothers sendero and really like it but miss the warmth of walnut. I really would be looking in the used market as i dont want to spend more than 700 any sugestions? i was thinking about buying a used 700 bdl and upgrading along the way because i am still in college for another year.oh yeah i would like to intertain the idea of shooting 600 yds. I have been shooting for around 18 years now so im not completly new to punching paper.

thanks, sigep538
Old 11-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: how bout a medium range gun for new guy

If you want to punch paper or deer to 600 yards stick with the 308 unless youre dead set on a 7mm rem mag. Maybe get a differant rifle such as the 700 vsf ect...

Welcome.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Their nothing wrong with the 308 as far as accuracy goes , I personaly would look at another model maybe a heavy barreled bolt gun generaly they come with a 26" tube but you can get great accuracy and velocity from a 20" and it'll cut alot of weight if its a heavy barrled rig.
My personal longest kill on a big game animal is 618 yds with a custom 308 loaded with factory Black Hills ammo.

Alot of new guys get cought up in the magnum craze thinking that you need a super heavy bullets going super fast and its simply not so.
I would reccomend the 308 for several reasons , alot of good factory loaded ammo , its easy to load for with lots of great componets readly available , low recoil and they are normaly accurate.
I've got a Encore with a 20" heavy barrel that makes for a super short fast handeling gun that realy accurate , I've got a handload that shoot a 165gr Ballistic Tip at 2600+fps and I have consistanly hit 12" gong at 400yds with it and a 6x scope
Old 11-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

with the price range you're looking at I would just go with a new remington 700 in like a bdl. then have it bedded and trigger tuned. even then i would think that you would be breaking the 700$ mark. if you can get you're 308 to shoot well with say a 165-180gr. bullet then that would work for cheaper.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 PM

I do plan on keeping my 308 since i shoot it off hand fairly well and it is very handy when walking or in thick cover. I really dont mind the recoil of a 7mm rem and have resources to the reloading equipment.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

sigep538,

For good out-of-the-box accuracy, walnut stock & under $700.00; you might look at the Savage 114 Classic in 7mm Rem. mag. This rifle is generally accurate for a factory gun & can be improved as often as you wish to invest the money to do so. JMHO
Dave
Old 11-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Bronze Member

Welcome

I am also new here and am building a medium range gun (700yds). I chose my old 30-06 as my test bed, This is where I am now.

Model 70. 06
3.5-10X40 target turret Leopuld
Mic A-2
I lapped the trigger and is set to 2.0lbs
I still have the original barrel on the rifle but will have a lilja put on it when it's all said and done.
Jeff over at nightforce is sending me a set of 20 moa, bases for the scope. Oh and by the way he has a new titanium tactical ring out, the dam thing is great!
I will be using 168gr. VLD's

That's were am at for now!

Brian Anchorage Alaska