Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How accurate is EXBAL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Works great for me also. It is very reliable.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:09 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanuk View Post
Normally the biggest thing holding back Exbal in my experience is accurate input data, as already mentioned. Out to 600yds or so, you can put in the rough altitude and temperature, and be within a click or two of center. Beyond that, I used to get progressively more off the further back I went. Turned out that accurate temperature, and accurate barometric pressure were necessary to get the output from Exbal to accurately get me on target. A kestrel personal weather meter pretty much fixed that - leave the altitude in Exbal set to zero, and enter the raw station pressure and uncheck 'Corrected Pressure'. Should be golden from there.
That is the same way I use it now also.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

i dont think that you can find a better one on the market. just make sure you have the other tools that can makes sure you input the right info...
Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
I have one on order,I was wondering if anyone here has ever compared the numbers it calculated compared to actuall field testing to see how close it is. I just want to know what to expect before I start using it.
I'd echo what others are saying regarding Exbal and proper input info. I don't have the extensive experience others here do, but when I input temp and wind from the Kestral and station pressure from my watch, Exbal has been virtually spot on to over 1K using the 240SMK and the 240SMK ballistic info built in to the program. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
I'd echo what others are saying regarding Exbal and proper input info. I don't have the extensive experience others here do, but when I input temp and wind from the Kestral and station pressure from my watch, Exbal has been virtually spot on to over 1K using the 240SMK and the 240SMK ballistic info built in to the program. Good luck.
thanks for the input,that is the same bullet I will be shooting.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Just remember that every barrel treats a bullet differently, and therefore the BC for the same bullet will vary from barrel to barrel, sometimes such a small amount you wont notice it, othertimes a particular barrel will significant affect "how the bullet goes to sleep" and can have a significant affect on the bullets actual BC for some or all of the bullets flight.
You must confirm your actual BC either by shooting in known conditions (air density - pressure, temperature, humidity, this last is the least important) out to the longest range you're planning on shooting to, or by shooting across Oehlers acoustic targets out to your max range, or doppler radar. Not all of us have these last 2, so comparing shot drops and tweaking the program's BC to match works fine. Just be aware you need to calibrate your scopes actual adjustments (few are exactly what they say they are) and also you really need to do it in dead still conditions to make sure you aren't confusing any vertical wind effect as more or less drop and therefore a different BC.
If you don't calibrate your scope your drop chart will still work fine for your gun and load, its just your BC may not be what you think it is.
Hope this makes sense, this is a huge topic that really needs more discussion.
Greg
Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

Milanuk
Thanks for the info --- have always used calculated pressure -- sounds like I need to get me a kestrel to fully utilize the benefits of exbal.