Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

How accurate is EXBAL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

How accurate is EXBAL?

I have one on order,I was wondering if anyone here has ever compared the numbers it calculated compared to actuall field testing to see how close it is. I just want to know what to expect before I start using it.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:49 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
I have one on order,I was wondering if anyone here has ever compared the numbers it calculated compared to actuall field testing to see how close it is. I just want to know what to expect before I start using it.
Mine has been spot on for field comparisons. Where BC's were unknown, but guessed still got me on target from 200 yd sight-in to 600 yards on first shot.

published BC's are a starting point, so one cannot expect exact numbers when going from published BC's to field shooting, but to date Exbal hasn't let me down.

One time I thought it was off, but after checking, the scope company had put the wrong reticle in the optic:eek:
BTW the comapany replaced the wrong reticle with the correct one.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Bronze Member

In my circle of shooters - we have found it to be very accurate out to about 700yds, then for whatever reason, we have to add clicks. It may be that we don't have all the exact info, ie ---- we are using dropcharts not a pda, so our humidity may be off, the chrono may not be 100% accurate, the reported BC may be off, temperature may have changed. Exbal does get us close, and then we just develop drop charts based on what field conditiions show us to be true. If you have a pda and a kestrel or similar weather device, you may have better success than us on longer range --- at any rate, I am very glad I have Exbal.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

It's only going to be as accurate as the information you pit in.

The old saying, "trash in trash out" is very true. If you enter bad information you will get bad information back.

Mike Alford
Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

very, i can make a 1400 yard cold bore w/ accurate weather info w/ a 300 wsm.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Exbal works great if you input accurate information. Have used it for years and it works otherwise I would have pitched it.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

Normally the biggest thing holding back Exbal in my experience is accurate input data, as already mentioned. Out to 600yds or so, you can put in the rough altitude and temperature, and be within a click or two of center. Beyond that, I used to get progressively more off the further back I went. Turned out that accurate temperature, and accurate barometric pressure were necessary to get the output from Exbal to accurately get me on target. A kestrel personal weather meter pretty much fixed that - leave the altitude in Exbal set to zero, and enter the raw station pressure and uncheck 'Corrected Pressure'. Should be golden from there.