Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Horus Vision ASLI. It is any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Horus Vision ASLI. It is any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
Im still useing mine. Even if i get a new LRF, i will keep it on. Just like i would never go on a hunt without knowing how to use my reticule to range. Electronics fail sometimes.
Yep and usually it's when we need them most.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

I've got to be honest here. I've owned two. First was the picatinny mount (didn't fit), the second was a scope mount. I had to file off some teeth from the rail to get it to fit w/ low rings. Both would not hold a bubble on level. As soon as I changed vertical angle of the rifle (tilting up and down on the bipod), the bubble would go off level. I checked it against a torpedo level on the scope. The torpedo level would stay level horizontally, but the ASLI would change. I couldn't figure out why I always had to add more windage to the scope than what it called for on my solutions. I ended up ordering a level off this sight. It is a much better option. The angle/cos was off too. It is a sealed unit, so you can't calibrate it to your rifle. Savageshtr had one, and the machining was terrible. He couldn't keep it clamped tight because the screw bottomed out before it was tight enough to hold the ASLI.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

I bought one several yrs ago.... came with the supplied pic rail clamp. The pic rail clamp would not hold (iddy biddy little screw) at any reasonable torque level on my 16lb braked 338 RUM. One trip to the range & it would slide forward.... the Unit didn't sit level in the clamp, which was annoying at worst. I ordered the ring mount thinking "it can't be worse, right?" Wrong, I open my reasonably priced package to find an aluminum, pot metal casting of a ring worm turd.... I think a mount made of Lego's would have been stronger Then I find out that the clamp bottoms out before it engaged the dovetail of the ASLI.... to the DREMEL you go!! Yeah it worked, but after discovering the FlatLine Ops, the Horus has went down the road...

The ASLI was pretty well made, the mounts on the other hand....

Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

I have one that is a couple years old and I don't use it. It has a rail mount that didn't hold very well AND setting the screw just dug a hole in my rail. When I tried to "adapt" it to another mount, I found it had a different dovetail. It would fit together but the machined angles were different.

My preference is for the "Flatline Ops" products. They fit right and once setup properly, they don't move. I'm using them on several .223s, a 7mm RM, a 300WM, and a 308. All are where I originally set them including the 308 which experienced a bit of rough handling when I took a nasty tumble off an ATV last year. Character marks were added to the rifle, "road rash" applied to the operator and an ego was severely dented were the only wounds received. I don't think the plastic housing of the ASLI would have faired as well.

my .02

A 'do nothing' Congress is not always a bad thing. If they pass enough laws, it should be entirely possible to sterilize one's complete life experience.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."