Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hornady A-Max

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady A-Max

Anyone can answer this, I want anyone to answer. If you guys shoot LR, you are saying it is say beyond 700 and that is why you use the AMAX. I perfectly understand why you use those and the SMK for those ranges. BUT do you really believe those bullets are going to work well at close ranges under 400? If you see a trophy elk or deer at 100 yds are you able to use those bullets actually thinking that they are going to do the job reliably or do you just pass on the shot? I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't use them but if you go to take that shot and you have second thoughts about your bullet working at that close of a range, should you take the shot? I know that I wouldn't. Most of you say that you are LR shooters and that is why you use these target bullets for hunting because at long ranges you like the bullet that does the job at low velocities. Like i said, I get it. I just don't believe they will reliably do the job at close range at high velocities. What you should be saying is that you are a close range and long range shooter but I know you wouldn't pass up a trophy at 100 yards. I have not used the AMAXes nor would I because that thought of that 100 yard trophy running off wounded and die and me not finding it would be in the back of my head. Also the Berger and AMAX are not made the same so you can't really argue those.

I guess the real question is, what is the happy medium bullet?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Anyone can answer this, I want anyone to answer. If you guys shoot LR, you are saying it is say beyond 700 and that is why you use the AMAX. I perfectly understand why you use those and the SMK for those ranges. BUT do you really believe those bullets are going to work well at close ranges under 400? If you see a trophy elk or deer at 100 yds are you able to use those bullets actually thinking that they are going to do the job reliably or do you just pass on the shot? I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't use them but if you go to take that shot and you have second thoughts about your bullet working at that close of a range, should you take the shot? I know that I wouldn't. Most of you say that you are LR shooters and that is why you use these target bullets for hunting because at long ranges you like the bullet that does the job at low velocities. Like i said, I get it. I just don't believe they will reliably do the job at close range at high velocities. What you should be saying is that you are a close range and long range shooter but I know you wouldn't pass up a trophy at 100 yards. I have not used the AMAXes nor would I because that thought of that 100 yard trophy running off wounded and die and me not finding it would be in the back of my head. Also the Berger and AMAX are not made the same so you can't really argue those.

If I was shooting 6.5, 7mm or 30 cal A-max's in the upper weight class of bullets, (middle class for the 30 cal as well) and I was shooting deer I personally wouldn't hesitate and would expect a 100% kill ratio. But I shoot for the lung and heart or high shoulder and stay far away from the point of the shoulder. Shooting elk I would be more cautious as well as they are tough critters. I will say this though about elk. IME they are much more likely to show their toughness with a bullet that pencils through, even 2 or 3 bullets, than one that tears up their vitals. Also, I don't shoot RUM's and similar heavy weights. If I was doing this I would be more cautious as well at close range.

But the key to all of this is what a number of guys have mentioned on this thread. Use the 2 bullet system. It really does work very well. The hornady bullets shoot very similar and between the Interlock, Interbond, and SST you can usually find one that shoots very close to POI of the A-max. Then you don't have to settle for a middle of the road bullet. You get the best of both worlds. I have even had partitions and Accubonds shoot very close to the A-max so there are a lot of options to try.

Carry your short range bullet in the magazine or chamber ready for a close range shot. If you end up going long range then just single feed your A-max and you are ready to go.

Regarding the Berger vs A-max comparison, my point was simply that their style of terminal performance is much more similar than if you were comparing the berger to a controlled expansion bullet. Bergers and A-max fragment into multiple pieces and usually end up shedding 50%+ of their weight. They aren't expected to provide pass through penetration results. In that respect they are similar.

Hope this Helps,

Scot E.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

For whatever it's worth, I don't have any problems with the A-Max bullets at short range either. This buck was shot head on at a mere 200yds with a 155gr A-Max. The deer took exactly one grand leap after the shot and piled up on his nose.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post

Well I have another approach that I plan to execute through winter, spring and early fall. I'm going to be loading the 162 A-Max in 7mm Rem Mag and will be lowering coyote numbers with them. For THAT particular purpose, bullet performance on game is far less of a concern. But what it will allow me to do is gauge how this bullet acts and reacts on meat in real world scenarios over a period of time and over different lot numbers. If I find that these bullets will perform in a standard-like manner with good results, then I'll CONSIDER using them on mid-weight midwestern whitetails for the 2012 season. Otherwise, I'll probably switch to Accubonds for deer, then back to my A-Max's for coyotes again.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

That does help. I do shoot a RUM and I don't want to use the 200 gr accubond at ranges that it might pencil through the animal but I didnt want to use the 210 Berger at close range. I believe that if you used two bullets that would be the best thing to do.

I know people use the AMAX and other target bullets at close range with much success but I just can't bring myself to do it. Just my opinion and I hope none of you guys ever have a bullet failure with them. Would suck to waste a fine animal. I am sure that the non target bullets have that chance too but less so at close ranges which is why I wont use the target bullets. To each their own!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I know a happy medium for my 308 is the 200 grain Sierra Game King. It will hold up at near muzzle velocities (308 velocities) and expand as low as 1500 FPS. It may not be the best for any application, but is a dang good happy medium. At least for my 308.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Korhil78, I blew a fist sized hole in a 6x6 this fall,@ 50 yards, Berger. I have taken more than a handful of game with the bullet. I am a accomplished bow hunter, so most guns seem overkill to me. But I grew up in the mountains of MT. At elk camp, the rifles in the rack where, 7rm, 8mmrm, 300 wm,300 H&H, 308 NM, 338 WM, 375 ETC. So I believe in the right tool for the job. I mainly elk hunt,shot lots of stuff w/340 WM. Now my 16 yr.old boy is using it. The rifle was powerful so bullet choice not as much a issue. Now using 338 NM, with 300 Berger, This set up blows large holes in game. When tracking my elk, the blood trail was unreal, I knew he was dead on his feet. I will not hesitate to use this set up