Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hornady A-Max

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady A-Max

The SMK's aren't "supposed" to be used for hunting either but they are pretty popular for LR shooters and have been used very successfully for an awful long time. IMO for the long range stuff you need a bullet that is going to open up easier than today's modern hunting bullets so the A-max is a very good choice. Most bullets today have around 1800 fps minimum velocity, in many cases that number should be higher to get a bullet to expand, for proper expansion and that doesn't get some shooters out nearly as far as they like to shoot.

What hunting bullets have the BC's of the A-Max and SMK? Are you talking about the custom copper bullets? I guess some like the Accubond does have BC's close but then you have the minimum velocity issue that limits your distance.

Scot E.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
The SMK's aren't "supposed" to be used for hunting either but they are pretty popular for LR shooters and have been used very successfully for an awful long time. IMO for the long range stuff you need a bullet that is going to open up easier than today's modern hunting bullets so the A-max is a very good choice. Most bullets today have around 1800 fps minimum velocity, in many cases that number should be higher to get a bullet to expand, for proper expansion and that doesn't get some shooters out nearly as far as they like to shoot.

What hunting bullets have the BC's of the A-Max and SMK? Are you talking about the custom copper bullets? I guess some like the Accubond does have BC's close but then you have the minimum velocity issue that limits your distance.

Scot E.
Interlock, Accubond, Sciroccos all have the BC's to get you to the limits of adequate energy to reliably kill game. They all will also give reliable and predictable expansion.

Now if one is using one of the big .338's it's a whole new equation just due to the mass of the bullet. In them I can understand BC surpassing all other considerations.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

I shot this one last week at 240 yds. 280 ack. 162 A-max. He was facing me and angled a little. I put the cross hairs on his neck about half way between his head and shoulder. He just dropped. When I went to him no blood. could not see an entry hole no exit. When I skinned him this is what I found. small hole in the front and a big hole in the back of the neck. Hit the neck bone and it exploded Jacket was in the hide. Found a few pieces of lead like bird shot.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

By no means does Hornady recomend these for hunting???????????

better look again.

Long Range Whitetail - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

I use what works!
300g Bergers in the 338Edge.
6.5-284 and 7Mag=Nosler Partitions in the chamber when I'm moveing and Amaxes for all shots past 300 yards. Aiming for the boiler room!!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Interlock, Accubond, Sciroccos all have the BC's to get you to the limits of adequate energy to reliably kill game. They all will also give reliable and predictable expansion.

Now if one is using one of the big .338's it's a whole new equation just due to the mass of the bullet. In them I can understand BC surpassing all other considerations.
Interlocks, really? Interbonds maybe but even they are quite a bit less than the upper tier of bullets in the BC department at least for the calibers I use. No doubt the sirocco's and Accubond's are good but IME they need 1900+ to be safe for expansion which does limit ones distance in some cartridges. If you are shooting the big boys then probably not.

I have been really impressed with the A-max's for mid level cartridges or for the big burners at longer ranges. You may want to give them a try. They open up very nicely close to 1100 fps and typically hold 50-60% of their weight.

Scot E.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
It baffles me why some people insist on using a bullet for hunting that the manufacturer tells us point blank is not intended to be used as a hunting bullet.

Emphasis mine. If there were not a long list of High BC, great shooting bullets on the market desiged and intended to be used as hunting bullets it would at least make some sense, but that is not the case.
Actually, one of my Hornady manuals specifically recommends the A-Max for hunting thin skinned big game animals. I've had excellent results on whitetails with the 162 A-Max at all ranges when fired from a 7STW.