Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Holland Brake-Is This Right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Yes, there is a formula that I use and a few tricks. The formula that I use is 1 inch divided by threads per inch such as 24tpi. divided by degrees. I use a six jaw chuck so I actually use my chuck jaws as my dividing head instead of an angle finder. My other trick is set your compound at 30 degrees such as it would be for threading, then when you move your compound 1 thou. you are actually only moving 1/2 thou. into your barrel shoulder. This gives you a little finer adjustment as you don't have to take a lot off the shoulder to change degrees rapidly. I like my brakes to index hand tight at about 11:50 on the clock when looking at the muzzle and then torque the top of brake to the 12 o'clock position.

308nate
Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Shawn and Nate are correct ,their is no big deal to indexing the brake and their is no excuse for letting a bad one out of the shop. What makes me worry is if he diden't care or doesen't know enought ot install the brake properly then what else did he do inproperly?? Is the crown concentric with the bore? , are the threads a good fit?

Somthing thats not that big of a deal to fix and is VERY easy to see the problem , like indexing the brake doesen't get looked at and fixed what kind of poor work is done that can be hidden ???
Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
Holland put one on my buddies Sendero last year. It was off as well. One thing you can do is put some blue loctight in the threads and then tighten it up until it indexed correctly. That's what we had to do. If it needs to go on some more put a round screwdriver through the big side ports and just tighten it up some more. Ours was over clocked so we needed to loosen it a little.
Wow!!! Are you saying Darrel Holland put one of his brakes on your buddies rifle, and it wasn’t index right and he let it out the door that way?????
Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

I used the same method when fitting a brake on my 338 Edge recently....unfortunately I cut about .001" too much off the shoulder and my brake screwed on just a bit too far. I just cut a .002" thick washer out of brass shim stock and used that to take up the gap...problem solved. We'll see if over time any bore solvents start to get their way in there and turn stuff green, but by then I may be due a new barrel anyway!.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting that formula Shawn and Nate. I had said I was going to commit it to memory when I saw it the first time. Apparently my memory isnt what it used to be. Its funny I can still remember 18436572 even though I havent worked on a small block chevy in at least 18 years. All that extranous stuff I learned in school turned my brain to mush.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
Wow!!! Are you saying Darrel Holland put one of his brakes on your buddies rifle, and it wasn’t index right and he let it out the door that way?????
Joe,
The muzzle brake to my understanding was not installed by Darrel Holland, but it was one of his brakes installed by a local gunsmith. The improper indexing was not the fault of the brake but of the smith installing the brake.
Just thought I would clarify that.
308Nate
Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 nate View Post
Joe,
The muzzle brake to my understanding was not installed by Darrel Holland, but it was one of his brakes installed by a local gunsmith. The improper indexing was not the fault of the brake but of the smith installing the brake.
Just thought I would clarify that.
308Nate
Nate

Holland put one on my buddies Sendero last year. It was off as well.

Not the way I’m reading it…. Maybe Hired Gun can clarify
who did the in installation for us…