Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hold over or Dial??? Plus scope suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Bronze Member

Hold over or Dial??? Plus scope suggestions?

I have a .25-06 that I've been handloading for and have been wanting to stretch its range out a bit. I have yet to shoot an animal past 200yds but currently practice out to 300yds. I have attempted 600yd shots (on plywood) with not so good results. I have a simple duplex reticle and don't trust my scope enough to dial.
So what do you do? Do you hold for elevation and wind? And if you do, do you have a mil-dot (or equivalent) reticle?
Or do you dial? If so, do you have mil-dots (or equivalent) as well?
Also, what would you suggest to a guy on a limited budget for scopes?
Should I just go with a simple mil-dot scope and just hold for everything? Should I get something that allows me to dial? Or both?
I would most likely never shoot past 600yds but if I felt capable I would like to try some 1000yd target shots. This is primary rifle (actually my only at the moment) and use it for everything from bobcat up to large whitetails.
Thanks, Jason
Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hold over or Dial??? Plus scope suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgutter View Post
I have a .25-06 that I've been handloading for and have been wanting to stretch its range out a bit. I have yet to shoot an animal past 200yds but currently practice out to 300yds. I have attempted 600yd shots (on plywood) with not so good results. I have a simple duplex reticle and don't trust my scope enough to dial.
So what do you do? Do you hold for elevation and wind? And if you do, do you have a mil-dot (or equivalent) reticle?
Or do you dial? If so, do you have mil-dots (or equivalent) as well?
Also, what would you suggest to a guy on a limited budget for scopes?
Should I just go with a simple mil-dot scope and just hold for everything? Should I get something that allows me to dial? Or both?
I would most likely never shoot past 600yds but if I felt capable I would like to try some 1000yd target shots. This is primary rifle (actually my only at the moment) and use it for everything from bobcat up to large whitetails.
Thanks, Jason
With practice hold over alone is more than adequate in hunting situations to get you out to five or six hundred yards with most calibers.

Even with a plain duplex reticle (again with practice) you can learn to bracket an animal use a known body measurment such as from top of shoulder to bottom of brisket to judge your hold over.

Beyond that you need to either dope and dial or use something like the MP-8, Mil Dot, or TMR reticle.

Nothing is as accurate as doping and dialing though IF you have a quality scope that has consistently repeatable adjustments.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

If you want to precisely place the bullet , dial it. There is no way you can have enough hash marks on a reticle for each distance. And if you did it would look like screen wire. Past 400 yards your bullet is dropping at a very fast rate. Every few yards make a difference. Can you learn hold over and be affective at 500 yads? Sure but you simply can not place the bullet as well as if it were ranged with a laser RF and dialed for. Period.

Whatever you choose practice is the key, and lots of it.

Good luck!

Jeff
Old 11-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

On a tight budget, go pick up a Nikon, "Prostaff" is memory serves me correct. They run around $200 or less. They have a BDC reticle with small circles in it. The scopes are very nice for the money, waterproof, shockproof and have nice crisp click adjustments. Nikon also has a ballistics program "Spot On" that will show you where your point of impact in the reticle will be if you know your velocity and obviously the bullet you are using. My brother put one on his stock Savage 300Win with Berger 168 vld handloads and we had him to 600 yards in the last circle and out as far as 850 yards accurately using the intersection of the thin/heavy duplex and some extra scope dope. The adjustments have tracked very accurately. In my opinion the Nikons have become a much better and more reliable scope than even the Leupolds under $1000.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Hi Dgut.

I went thru this same deal 2 years ago. I too have a 25-06 and have been very pleased with the ziess 3.5x10 with the z800 reticle. You can get a ziess 3x9 with the z600 reticle for about $575 which isn't cheap but maybe cheap enough.
I'm not smart enough to figure out milsdots, (I tried) so this was my solution. Best of luck but what ever you choose, practice practice practice.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:43 PM

I too shoot the 25.06 i just recently took it out 500yds. It was shooting 27 inches low at that range. it could be difficult to guess what 27 inches looks like in different shooting situations. Dialing seems more accurate if you have the time to dial each shot.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

I shoot the .25-06AI and its a great caliber. I use to think it was good to 700 and it will suffice on Antelope and Deer out to that distance and maybe a bit more with the right optics and bullet but for out to say 600 I had the best luck with dial ups. I did do well with a 6.5X20X40 Leupold with the Varmint hunter reticule out to 500 using hold offs but its a lot more precise with the dials.