Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

High Shoulder Hits, be ready to finish the job....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: High Shoulder Hits, be ready to finish the job....

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
Idaho Elk Hunter,
I would be cautious about using the "E" word on this forum. no work will get you in trouble faster, and for good reason. I feel Len's rules on the "E" work are what keep this a top notch forum.

As far as saying that anyone that doesn't use "hunting" bullet or go for heart lung shots is crazy (including Kirby), well... I respect your opinion. Lets agree to disagree.
I don't feel that Amax's in particular are a great hunting bullet, but I know that my 250 and 300 grain Berger and MKs have laid a whompin on enough animals for me to feel comfortable with them.
I second that. I've had very negative experiences with preachers on other forums. Really appreciate the open and honest exchange of information here.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Guess I'd better tell a deer story from when I was a 13 year old kid in Michigan. My dad put me on a stand with his Model 55 32 winchester special, which I own to this day. After sitting in the stand for a couple of hours, I heard ice cracking behind me (where the deer was not supposed to come out)! I turned my head slowly to look (per dads instructions) and there was a small 3 point "six point eastern" about thirty yards behind me. I slowly turned and shot him at the base of the neck dropping him instantly. I ran over to the deer and leaned the rifle up against an alder. After admiring him for a minute, I grabbed him by the back legs to roll him on his back. At this time, all hell broke loose! I thought he was going to tear both arms out of their sockets but I couldn't let loose right away because I thought I would catch one in the chops! After what seemed far too long; probably 5 seconds, I was able to back away far enough to let go. I grabbed the 32 and a round between the eyes calmed him down! I never forgot this valuable lesson............Rich
Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

If I can ever remember to do it, I'll post my bear kill video. High shoulder shot, first animal that didn't die instantly. Took additional lead to finish him off. DVD is at office.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
...Last year I walked up to my downed cow elk. Her eye was open. I did the usual poke with the rifle barrel and IT WINKED. Never had seen that before. She expired within a minute or so and didn't require a finishing shot. Sure glad I didn't grab a hind leg to begin gutting her.
AZShooter, if I hadn't seen it I wouln't have believed it. Yesterday about 1:00 PM my
grand son shot a doe at 273 yards with a 338 Edge. Eyes were opened and glaced but
when doing the usual poke IT WINKED!!!! nothing else moved but it winked a couple
two or three times. one wink after each poke. Weird, had never seen that in all these years!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Eaglet,

Guess if you hunt long enough you will see all sorts of things.