Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

High Shoulder Hits, be ready to finish the job....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: High Shoulder Hits, be ready to finish the job....

I have yet to execute a DRT high shoulder shot, I have tryed but can't quite get it with out having to sent a second one over to finish the job. Either I hit them like you did without hitting the spine or I spine them or I hit the dang leg bone just down from the scapula which sucks on an elk, I usually try once a year just cause everyone says it's the best place to hit them.
I cut two elk this evening, the one shot looked just right with a 7mm and it did just what happened to you, both shoulder were hashed , very little lung and no spine and reqired a head shot, the other elk I shot and I spined first shot then heart shot her so I cut both elk and figured the other guy lost around 30-32 lbs of meat just on the shoulder shot that didn't kill her, mine cost me 9-10 lbs.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby, first of all I want to say I'm glad you're alright, having a deer stand up after being shot can be dangerous.

In reference to your comment:

Quote:
They asked who shot the buck and I said that I had with a bit of a smile on my face I am sure.
I believe you did, but not enough for them to notice it.

How bad did that buck scare your life when he got up? Please tell us! I've got a smile on my face right now, but that's because I'm a bit nervous after I read about that buck getting up when you grabbed it's antlers.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Having to apply a finishing shot is the dark side of hunting for me. It is for me, the only part of hunting that I have a tough time with. If there is ever a reason that I quit carrying a weapon and change to a camera, that will be it.

Me personally, I am strictly a boiler room shot placement guy. I don't mind the tracking out to a hundred yards that sometimes happens.

Kirby, I am glad it turned out OK. I had a deer start to stand up when I grabbed it by the antler after a head shot. Very unnerving to say the least. The last head shot I will ever take again.

Troutslayer, if MT FWP has a problem with how this situation was handled, then they have truly lost their way.

Good post,

Steve
Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby,

Sounds like you had a little excitment. I wonder if holding on to a set of horns is anything like bull riding?

Glad you scored, and are safe, and waiting to see some Pics.

Oh yeah.... I'm a boring boiler room kinda guy.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

I've had the best luck shooting center of shoulder, if quartering away I hold to have the bullet exit the center of the offside shoulder. The high shoulder hit works very well with high velocity impacts.
But you never know what the emotional state the game is in, get them jacked up on hormones and a dose of adrenaline from fear from the invasion of an army of hunters and they can take alot more abuse. I shot an undisturbed whitetail once years back in a bad wind, range was around 600 yards, POI was off POA about 12", impact was just in front of the hams, 2" below the spine, bullet hit hide in/hide out, nothing else. That shot shouldn't have even killed that deer, but it hit the ground, flopped a couple times and was dead, ya just never know!
I never liked the high shoulder shots, after seeing them laying on they're back bawling like a sick calf, head erect looking around using a deer rifle of nominal MV. I normaly take the center shoulder or lung shots if given a choice.
congrats on your buck kirby!
RR
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Just my opinion but it makes a huge difference what state the game is in. If you grunted him in close and he is ready for a fight he will likely be significantly harder to kill than if he was totally unsuspecting and undisturbed.

I have lost 2 deer in my hunting career. I called in a nice 4pnt whitetail to 28 yards. I shot him facing me at a bit of a downward angle. I shot him in the top of the white diamond, exiting right behind the diaphram. He dropped instantly. I was crouched in a tight ball infront of a stump, in wet snow. I tried to wait as long as possible before I moved, about 5 minutes later I had to stand up, I slowly stood up, and just as I got up straight the deer basically levitated and bolted. He dropped over a bank heading for the river, I heard some serious crashing so I figured he was down and walked back to my truck to get some extra muscle to haul him up. A good 15 minutes later my partner and I started down the 50 yard bank. His tracks in the snow showed him dragging something bloody, and he fell repeatedly on his was to the bottom. As we worked thru the alder I heard splashing... and watched him fall into the river. He hit the current and all I could do was watch. He disapeared under the water and never surfaced again.

Clint and I walked at least a mile downstream with no sign of anything on log jams or gravel bars, no tracks exitting the river. I cut my tag and went home empty handed. The thing was he had serious clockwork hanging out under his belly, and had no diaphram left and must have had serious lung damage. But when he came in he was ready for a fight, he was grunting up a storm, neck all swollen. I think if he was relaxed when shot he would have never moved an inch.

At least you got your deer and didn't end up with a horn where the sun doesn't shine!! You did make one mistake... alway bring the finisher!!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

ive shot 80 deer the last 5 years and seen a like # shot. With an edge they often die gutshot. The impact and 300 smk is just more than a nervous system will take. Saying that i killed a 175 lb dressed rutted buck this year at 250 and shot him mid shoulder and liquified his lungs and 15 minutes later he was moving still. Not really alive because he couldnt see me when i was 2 feet away but still not really dead. Ive never lost a deer with the 338 I usually just listen for a splat and take off walking even at 1k plus. deal is if they are jacked up on hormones and fear and they get real tough.