Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

High Shoulder Hits, be ready to finish the job....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: High Shoulder Hits, be ready to finish the job....

I've heard archers speak about the narrow area right below the spine where you really don't get much of the vitals. Maybe just barely clip the top of the lungs. Could be what happened??
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

KIrby gald you got the deer I had the same thing happen on that big whitey that I told you about on wednesday the shot was 790 and the deer was standing broadside I pulled the triger and the buck droped I sat and waited for about 30 min and he never moved so we had to drive down the cooley so we lost him for a few min when we got there he was gone a big pool of blood but no deer we heard a shot on the neighbors and whent over there and there was my 170 whitey he was shot right at the point of the shoulder and it was perfect and he still got up and whent 300 yrd till the neighbers kid shot him so I didn't get the deer but that how it gos some times but I still can't believe that he sucked up that 300gr bullet out of my edge
Old 11-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Troutslayer,

The buck was mortally wounded, I was obviously not intentionally hunting big game after dark as I had only a 1911 pistol. My way of thinking, if the FWP wants to try to nail me killing big game after hours I would be MORE then willing to take that one in front of a judge and see where the chips fall. I only did what I suspect any ethical sportsman would do.

It was proven the deer was alive but not able to run away as he only took a few yards worth of movement before falling. Knowing that, I would like to know how many other hunters would leave an animal overnight in that condition when they had the ability to end its suffering then and there.

Perhaps you would not have done what I did but if I had it to do again, I would but I would have my rifle with me the first time I went out. That was my only mistake.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Shawn,

Most of the game I have shot in the high shoulder has also nearly always been dead by the time I got up to it. That was what suprised me with this buck.

The bullet passed through the chest cavity roughly 1.5 to 2" below the spine. When we butchered the deer, there was a 10" circle around the impact that was severely bruised on both sides of the rib cage.

When I was dressing the deer, the chest cavity was completely full of blood. The next morning I was able to inspect the lungs a bit better with the morning light and the tops of both were significantly damaged with the bullet passing through the tops of both. I have seen deer with much less damage then this die much sooner, just a strange thing I guess.

By the way, those night sites really worked well!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Troutslayer,

The buck was mortally wounded, I was obviously not intentionally hunting big game after dark as I had only a 1911 pistol. My way of thinking, if the FWP wants to try to nail me killing big game after hours I would be MORE then willing to take that one in front of a judge and see where the chips fall. I only did what I suspect any ethical sportsman would do.

It was proven the deer was alive but not able to run away as he only took a few yards worth of movement before falling. Knowing that, I would like to know how many other hunters would leave an animal overnight in that condition when they had the ability to end its suffering then and there.

Perhaps you would not have done what I did but if I had it to do again, I would but I would have my rifle with me the first time I went out. That was my only mistake.

I agree totaly, tracking and finishing wounded game is not illegal IMHO. It is done all the time, no iime limit on recovery

Last edited by jwp475; 11-29-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I will be honest, I seldom hold to intentionally hit the high shoulder but it often turns out that way. When I hunt at long range, which to me is anything 500 yards and out, I will take a center hold on the shoulder to allow the most error in all directions and still get that bullet in the vitals.

In the area I hunt, putting the animal down on the spot is a good thing but in no way a requirement. May mean a longer haul out but other then that, there really is no way to loose a mortally wounded animal.

I think that the high shoulder shot can get you into trouble, espeically with some specific species of big game animails. Many do not realize that game such as elk, moose or buffalo have huge dorsal spines on their spine. Generally the top third of a bull elk of moose will not result in a one shot kill. It may drop the animal to the shot but I have seen many situations where a hit on the top 1/3 of these animals resulted in the animal regaining their feet after several minutes.

On deer, the distance from their spine to the top of their back is much less so a hit to the top 1/3 of a buck is generally a fatal hit. If nothing else, the spine is generally broken and the animal is unable to move.

In my case, the spine was not physically impacted by the bullet. Both shoulder blades were broken and that was obvious when the buck tried to run as he could simply paw with his both legs and did not have good control of any of his legs telling me his spine was severely stressed.

For all intent and purpose, this buck should have died long before he did. My only real reason for posting this is to say to be prepared for anything when you walk up on your "Dead" big game animal.

I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby.....glad you recovered your animal and I don't think any logical person would argue with how you accomplished it.....Rich