Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

high power 6mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Bronze Member

Re: high power 6mm

I guess it's not something that I expect to be able to do, but as a gunsmithing student my goal is 1/4 moa rifles or less. My 7mm I built last year holds 1/8 moa to 350 but I've never tried it further. The 6-284 so far seems like the idea cartridge to at least get close to my unreasonable expectations haha

~WS
Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconSniper View Post
I guess it's not something that I expect to be able to do, but as a gunsmithing student my goal is 1/4 moa rifles or less. My 7mm I built last year holds 1/8 moa to 350 but I've never tried it further. The 6-284 so far seems like the idea cartridge to at least get close to my unreasonable expectations haha

~WS
Hey there's nothing wrong with striving for perfection as long as one is realistic about the chances of achieving same.

You'd have a much better chance of succeeding with a 6.5 or 7mm but if 6mm is what you have then that's probably the way I'd go if you want to have any kind of barrel life. If not see if you find someone who's got a reamer for a wildcat on the 6mm - 264wm or 6mm-300wm and see just how fast you can push it. I just think that at some point pushing for max speed you will most likely lose accuracy.

Building a 7mm 1/4 MOA rifle at 600yds is a completely different animal than trying to do the same in 6mm at 1,500yds. It's just a matter of what any given bullet is capable of doing and with the BC's of the 6mm's I doubt it's possible. If you are up for the challenge though I'm sure it'll be fun to see just how close you can get.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 AM
Bronze Member

That's what I've found with most rounds on the whole speed vs accuracy idea. Maybe we'll stick to the 1000 yard consistent dog kills with the 6-284.

~WS
Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's what I've found with most rounds on the whole speed vs accuracy idea. Maybe we'll stick to the 1000 yard consistent dog kills with the 6-284.

~WS
If you accomplish that alone you'll be in the top .001% of shooters and gun builders. That's a pretty lofty goal right there.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

~WS
Or give this some consideration since it was built specifically with your kind of usage in mind.

The 6mm Rem AI
Old 01-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Bronze Member

I've read that article. Fantastic stuff. Does anyone know a place to get a heavy target stock made of hardwood that won't break the bank? (Under $800)

~WS
Old 01-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I've read that article. Fantastic stuff. Does anyone know a place to get a heavy target stock made of hardwood that won't break the bank? (Under $800)

~WS

Baer rifles