Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Hey, DC ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hey, DC ?

Hi DC,

I read the post wrong, I have been doing a lot of that lately. 6/06 Improved was what you wrote. If you have any comments on the 6.5-06 Improved, they would be appreciated.

Thanks Again
Frank D [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 09:25 AM
*WyoWhisper*

DC,

I guess I sounded like a novice when I re-read my post...

I realize the break adds nothing to the barrel lentgh as far as volocity goes.. my point was I needed to keep everything around 28" I would love to have the 30" but it would just be a headache when on horseback..

I am now trying to decide on the best setup for detatchable rings... tough to get the BIG scopes in littel scabbards.. ANY THOUGHTS???

hey you never told me what velocities you get with the .308 and the 30" barrel?? very curious... I am considering rebarreling my .308 after this summer .. mostly likely the barrel will be due about then... especially after I spend some time on the 10,000 acre lease in Casper... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Frank and Ric

Frank I have had and still do have 6.5 Gibbs which is an improved 6.5/06 with a 35 degree shoulder instead of the 40 Degree that Ackley produced, and holds up to 9 more grains of powder over the standard 6.5/06. It will stay right with a 264 Mag when using bullets up to 142 Gr MKs in a 30" barrel and having an 8 twist. You will be amazed at that cartridge and what it will do. You can make the cases from 270 Norma.

Ray Romain puts the 6.5 Gibbs on the 270 Length case, which is .050" longer in the neck then the standard 30/06. Gives the case a longer neck and he throats it longer to set the bullet out further. Lots of powder room. For a LR hunting rifle to 1000 yards or so, it is a dandy.

It is a great cartridge and Old Ricky Gibbs was way ahead of his time.

Ric---I added to my previous long post concerning the 308 length and velocity gain. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Later

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 02-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Demarpaint

I have a Tooley built 6.5/06 Ack Imp 1000 yd .290 neck in a light gun 16.4lbs built to PA specs. It shoots 140-142 at 3000-3050 fps very accurately. The barrel is only 28" but, that is not a handicap at the BR game. Originally started with RL22 but recently switched to MRP.

It requires fireforming either Lapua 270 or 30'06 brass necked down using the COW method before neck turning. That is a pain at times and some people switched to the 6.5-284 (both reg and improved versions) which requires no fireforming now that the 284 has got very good brass now. The 6.5/06AI will have about 100-150 fps over the standard 6.5-284.

Currently using JLK 140 (B) model bullets (he has an A & B model 140 gr bullet). However, I think the Clinch River 147 really offers some potential especially in the BR and hunting modes. Sierra 142s are all over the chart on weight and bearing surface length and really require a lot of sorting to get shootable bullets.

If you go to the 6.5-284 impr you can get 3000 fps if you use a 30" barrel, but normally will require fluting to make weight at the 16.5 lb mark and that is with 1" scope with sleeved 700 action, Tooley MBR stock.

Good luck.

BH
Old 02-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Frank

I didn't know if you were talking about a LR hunting rifle or for shooting at 1000 yard matches.

If going to 1000 yd matches, I think that the 6.5/284 is the way to go. As mentioned, you really don't have to do the fireforming that the Gibbs or Ackleys require. Velocity will not be what you can obtain from the Gibbs or Ackley 6.5/06 IMP cartridges though. That's what makes the Improved versions a better hunting round.

For additional velocity and hunting with a 6.5 Bore (other then the 6.5/300 Weathetby), I like the 6.5 Gibbs ALOT.

Even the standard 6.5/06 is a "great" cartridge as long as it has the 8 twist to stabilize the 140 gr bullets.

Later
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
As an add on here----Most shooters trying to get their rifles to make Williamsport weight and shoot a "Nightforce scope" on it, will shorten the barrel by a couple of inches to do so. Some feel that the shorter barrel will give less vibrations.

Many or most of our shooters just use a lighter scope (Leupold) and stick with a 30" barrel.
The barrels MUST be no larger then .950" "maximum" diameter at the muzzle to be within our rule structure.

Match shooting and LR hunting rifles are not always the same with a rule structure for Match guns. Many would not like to carry a 16 1/2Lb gun as a "carry in" LR rifle.
If your the type that put roofing nails in your "Wheaties" every morning, you might though.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 02-25-2003, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Hi DC

Thanks for the reply, I had Ray Romain build me a .300 Tomahawk and I am very pleased with it. I have a son who is going to be 16, and I wanted to build something we could enjoy together, and a little smaller than the Tomahawk.

I have been gathering info for a while now. I really liked all the things I heard about the 6.5-06 Improved, and would have Ray build it for us when I get the cash together.

We shoot at 1000 yards sometimes a little more Upstate, NY (private property), and were thinking about formal target shooting to 1000 yards at some point down the road. We shoot coke cans at various distances, empty paint cans, clays, squirrels and crows. It would be more of a fun rifle but I would like to be able to shoot in competition with it at some point. Am I asking too much for one gun?

Thanks
Frank D
Old 02-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Frank

The 6.5 Gibbs or the 6.5/284 will fill your needs quite well.

If you don't want to fool around fireforming the Gibbs, go with the 6.5/284 as the all-around fun and match 1000 yd gun out of the 6.5s you mentioned.

Just my opinion. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Later