Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Here's my situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Here's my situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohring3006 View Post
I'm going to try to find a good load at mag length, if I don't, I have decided to just shoot it as a single shot
I am a firm believer in the "one shot, one kill" method, so single-shots don't really bother me. But I use a 7mmRM for deer hunting because usually there's multiple deer in the field, and if I need meat, I can jack another one in there real quick and dispatch a doe as well, if I need to.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek1761d View Post
I have a Cooper in 260 Remington, so far it appears that H4350 , BR Primers with the 140 VLD Hunting Berger is what I am looking at. I deer hunt over a 300 acre field and can shoot out to 800 yards. Before you ask I have killed deer out to 542 yards but not with this gun. My problem is if I seat the Berger in the rifling the loaded round will not eject without removing the bolt, I see three options, set the barrel back and have the chamber recut for the bullet, modify the ejector or switch bullets. I don't want to set the barrel back and there is not enough meat on the ejector to back it up .030. that leaves another bullet. am I missing an option, what bullet would you recommend, my twist is 1 in 8 and 140 amax require a 1 in 7.5. Thanks for any ideas you have.
Move to the Accubond or Hornady Interbond or perhaps Swift Sirocco, whichever shoots best for you. those three bullets will not fail you if you can put it in the right spot.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I am a firm believer in the "one shot, one kill" method, so single-shots don't really bother me. But I use a 7mmRM for deer hunting because usually there's multiple deer in the field, and if I need meat, I can jack another one in there real quick and dispatch a doe as well, if I need to.
I don't mind single shots I shoot at the range more than I get to hunt I don't remember the last time I loaded my mag...

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...