Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Here's my situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Here's my situation

I have a Cooper in 260 Remington, so far it appears that H4350 , BR Primers with the 140 VLD Hunting Berger is what I am looking at. I deer hunt over a 300 acre field and can shoot out to 800 yards. Before you ask I have killed deer out to 542 yards but not with this gun. My problem is if I seat the Berger in the rifling the loaded round will not eject without removing the bolt, I see three options, set the barrel back and have the chamber recut for the bullet, modify the ejector or switch bullets. I don't want to set the barrel back and there is not enough meat on the ejector to back it up .030. that leaves another bullet. am I missing an option, what bullet would you recommend, my twist is 1 in 8 and 140 amax require a 1 in 7.5. Thanks for any ideas you have.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Here's my situation

Take it to your smith and have a notch cut out in the front of the action... That would be an option. Personally, I'd call Cooper and see if there was any way you could send it to them, and maybe have them modify it for you?

There is 1 other option that would allow you to seat a bullet all the way to the lands and still be able to eject it, and you wouldn't have to change your barrel, just have the chamber opened up, and the bolt face opened up. You'd have to change out your mag follower for a short-mag follower, but all of this can be achieved for probably $150-200 (parts and smith labor), minus the cost of reloading dies and brass.

Read the whole thread, I think you will be quite intrigued...

6.5 ss final design

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

The 140 a-max doesnt need a 1-7.5 twist. I have shot them out to 1350 yards in a 1-8 twist bartlein chambered in 260. You could just but some cheap remington brass and not worry about ejector marks. Or take to a gunsmith, that has a zero- freebore 260 reamer and have the throat made longer!
Old 05-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Bronze Member

Had the same problem with mine. I shoot 140gr. Amaxs with my c.o.l. at 2.815 and they flat shoot. Was really wanting to shoot those Bergers but after shooting those Amaxs, not looking back.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltraps View Post
The 140 a-max doesnt need a 1-7.5 twist. I have shot them out to 1350 yards in a 1-8 twist bartlein chambered in 260. You could just but some cheap remington brass and not worry about ejector marks. Or take to a gunsmith, that has a zero- freebore 260 reamer and have the throat made longer!
You talking about a SAAMI spec reamer, or one with a long freebore like a Weatherby, where it doesn't matter where you seat the bullet, it should shoot pretty good?

I personally don't care for long freebore like the Weatherbys unless it's a small bullet in a big case, like a .257 Wby to help keep pressures down.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltraps View Post
On your advice I loaded one round with the 140 amax, at .010 off the rifling they will fit in the magazine, this may work, I will give them a try, thanks
Old 05-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Mudrunner2005, it can be Sammi spec or anything you want it to be! Zero-free bore reamer mean= your gun smith seats the length of where the bullet touches the reamer. Example = 308= 2.810 oal or 2.910 oal length. Basicly YOU controll your over all length. 260 match PTG . 297 Zero free bore is what i used on my 260. With a 140 vld and a 293 reading bushing it gives me 4 th clearence. I set the oal to 2.920 for my 260 buit on a LA remington