Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help! Urgently Need Caliber Advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Help! Urgently Need Caliber Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
I have a savage 116 in 7RM and have thought about going to 300 WSM. I tried the wsm rounds in the magazine...they fit, but were a little tight on the lips of the centerfeed mag. I have heard from others that you can bend them out slightly and it will work fine. My rifle has a hinged floorplate, did you start out with a standard or magnum stevens?
It is a standard Stevens long action. I was looking for a magnum action, but found the .270 rifle at Cabelas for $200 after some dickering. It looks like it has never been shot. Hard to pass up. They have another one identical sitting there I thought I might buy. :-)

I dont know if the standard long action will support the .300WSM? I may have to get a magnum action and turn this one into a .260 Rem.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't got all the parts figured out but I think you tweek the magnum feed lips or get a RUM box. I believe the bolt face for the magnum will take a RUM/WSM case. I'm gathering parts for a 338RUM and a 338Norma mag build on Savage long actions right now so I'm kinda working on all the parts now for myself also. So far all my Savage builds have been similar chamberings so not much to the swap other than a new barrel.

Geargrinder has done a few 338Edge's on a Stevens 200 action, I would PM him and run it by him. RUM stuff and WSM stuff are extremely interchangeable which gives you the option to step up when your GTG and have things figured out.

The only thing you would need swapping a 270 to a WSM would be a bolt head and a mag box, real simple, it's the beauty of the Savage, you just swap a few things around and you up and running. All the long actions are basically the same one with different bolt heads and box's with the exception of the 110BA.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Last edited by bigngreen; 10-21-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Plenty of great cartridges that fit on your bolt face. I thought you had a magnum. But no matter, several cartridges off the '06 case and 280 case get magnum velocities. The 280 AI is hard to beat and do about anything the 7mm rem mag will at about 100 fps less. The 7mm Gibbs and JRS will virtually match the 7mm rem mag. 6.5-06 imp is a good long range rifle along with the 6.5 gibbs.

The 280 AI will do about anything the 300 wsm will ballistically with no modifications. It is a very popular chambering.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

LTLR is on the right track in my opinion. 280 AI or the 6.5-06. Both are very much capable out past 1000 yards and would be economical to shoot. The barrel life will be good and you will not have to do any mods to your action feed rails or bolt face. For me it would be a no brainer.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:38 PM

gotta agree with lrtr, the 280 AI, not as many mods, more money for brass and bullets. My nephew has a stevens 200 in 308, its his first rifle and it really is a smooth well made rifle. The man and not the rifle is the more important part of the equation. you can spend thousands on the weapon, but the experience of the shooter is what makes it work.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

What do you guys make of this:

280 Ackley Improved Alert GunsmithTalk

Are you proposing the Ackley or the SAAMI version? I guess barrels are available either way?
OOPS. Am I allowed to place links in this forum?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

The standard Ackley. Not the lawyers saami one.