I need your help in choosing a caliber
. Please read:
I am about to embark on my first budget rifle build. I am starting with a Stevens 200 long action. I immediately thought I would build a .338 Edge, but then said "Whoa Big Fella, come back down to earth". For my first rifle, I think maybe something a little less complicated might be in order.
Here is what I want the rifle to achieve:
1. Shoot paper and hunt (when I am capable) to 1000 yards.
2. Game size will be up to Elk.
3. Flatter shooting than a .308 Win, I already have one.
4. Not a real barrel burner. I would like to get north of 1k rounds down the barrel.
5. A caliber with available dies, barrels, brass, etc.
6. Not so heavy that I can't carry it some. Maybe ~10-12 lbs. ?
7. Something that I can shoot enough ammo through to get proficient at long ranges. Can I do this with a .338 without physical problems?
8. Must work in a long action (Stevens 200 / Savage 110)
Let me know what your caliber recommendation is and why. Thanks for helping this new guy out!