Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help on setup so i can start practicing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Bronze Member

Help on setup so i can start practicing

quick stats 338RUM, badger 20MOA base, vxlll 6.5 x 20 lup varmit recticle, mark 4 rings, and groups of .5 to .75 at 100yds with 225NABs
want to buy these items to complete outfit and I like to buy things once
and this rig will be used for deer antelope to elk and moose from 50yds to 900yds and with lots of practice

Angle cosine or degree or mil? $141.00 with Badger base $201.00

Kerstrel 4500NV ?? $310.00

Ballistic Program Exbal or Night force?? $70.00

Which hand held pc or other device?? $979.00

I will also have a drop wind taped to the gun

I have a 9-13 harris bipod but was wondering what the lock option i have heard people talk about

I also do have a good range finder a Leica compact 1200

whats the best thing to use for support under the back of the gun when shooting with the bipod upfront?

Anything iam missing I wanted to ask the best and greatly appreciate any input

thanks
sid
I can pick it all up on Sniper Tools web site for about $1,600 but wanted input and other ideas before i spend that with them and are they a good outfit

Last edited by motrapper; 06-30-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

You'll get a lot of suggestions and all are based on personal opinion, so, here's one.

Angle Cosine or Degree either one. Great if you're hunting where shots will be uphill or downhill. Angle or Degree, the software can handle it.

Kestrel 4500??? I'd go with the 3500 at about $180 or so. It'll do all you'll need and you can probably get it even cheaper by shopping around. If you're not anal about all variables, you could even go with the 2500 as a lot of people do.

Ballistic Program: Exbal and the NF software are one and the same.

Hand held Pc etc. You can go with a Palm for about $100.oo or even cheaper if you shop around on Ebay. It'll run the same software, just the Palm version and do everything you need in the field. If you have to do windows application while hunting then you'd need the Pocket PC and windows. You'll also spend a lot more money.

Field proven drop charts are a must.

I think you'll find that most go with a 6-9" Harris with PodLoc. The PodLoc lets you pivot the gun until it's level and then you flip the lever and lock it in place. You can get both from Triad Tactical, Inc.. I carry 2 bipods a lot of the time if I'm setting up in an easy to get to spot. Also can shoot off a pack etc. Might also look at a good 2 or even 3 legged separate bipod although it will not be good for the really long shots.

Under the rear some use home made bags some use rabbit ear bags, some use their off hand and one that I carry with me is the RedMan rear bag. You can also get it from Triad.

I'd also recommend a ScopeLevel and something similar so you know when the gun is perfectly vertical. If you don't watch this it can be a killer at long ranges.

If you're gonna be shooting prone in the sticky stuff, you may want to invest in a good shooting mat. It'll save your equipment and body.

Then you may want to also include some good glass in the form of binoculars and spotting scope for finding the critters.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

And please don't forget, before you buy all of that other neet stuff; buy the BEST laser rangefinder you can afford! Cause if you don't now how far away the critter really is all the other stuff is useless.
Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

I knew I forgot something. Swarovski.....the only way to go.;)
Old 06-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Fun to spec. out a list using someone else's money huh?...

Those above know a lot more than me but I think the suggestion of a set of shooting sticks/tripod is a good one. They work well for me out to a few hundred yards and setup fast.

Last edited by Forester; 06-29-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Bronze Member

I really appreciate ss7mm response and would like other detailed responses the more info I get the better I will get setup Shawn or Kirby out their
thanks
sid