Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help picking a new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Bronze Member

Help picking a new rifle

Im looking at getting a new rifle to take on hunts that will involve a lot of hiking. Im thinking of either a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag? What does everyone think of these two or what other options to look at. Im trying to stay under 500 for a basic rifle since I will be changing out the stock and most likely the trigger as well.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Help picking a new rifle

I'm flat out blown away by the accuracy of my Tikka's.

The light one is 9 lbs in hunting trim (bipod, sling, full mag + 3 in the stock pack). I had every intention of upgrading the furniture, but can't really justify it yet. Also, I won't cry if I bash the stock on something while hunting.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

I would go with a SPS or BDL 26" 7mm RemMag.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorsch View Post
Im looking at getting a new rifle to take on hunts that will involve a lot of hiking. Im thinking of either a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag? What does everyone think of these two or what other options to look at. Im trying to stay under 500 for a basic rifle since I will be changing out the stock and most likely the trigger as well.
If I were going with a Rem I'd go with either the BDL or CDL.

The blind magazine of the ADL can be a pain at times.

Both calibers you are looking at are great for a number of uses and the decision should come down to range and the type of game you are going after.

If you want to shoot Moose and Elk at 1,000yds, the 300wm is where you want to go because you just have a hell of a lot more energy and higher BC bullets to choose from with the 300.

If your wanting to shoot deer sized or smaller game at that range, the 7mm Mag is all you need. The 7mm is also quite capable of taking the big game out to about 750yds with ease with the right bullet and shot placement.

Of course you could always come over to the dark side and join us 7mm STW shooters as well... .

Tell us more about what you plan to hunt and at what ranges and we can do a lot better job of helping you.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Remington does still chamber the SPS in 7mm STW if you can talk your local GS or FFL holder into ordering one for you...

I know my semi-local store had about 4-5 of them in stock that they couldn't get rid of... I need to get back up there to find a cheap used BDL or SPS LA magnum caliber so I can put my spare 7mm STW heavy barrel on it. Or if they still have any of those new SPS's in 7mmSTW still sitting around, I might go grab one of those...

In Stock @ Bud's Gun Shop...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+7MMSTW+26+WMB

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...MM+STW+26+BLUE

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

I plan to hunt sheep, pronghorn, and deer mostly with this rifle. And maybe elk sometimes. I would also be shooting out to 1000 yards max mostly. And 700-800 max on elk if I had to.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Go with the first link...It's got a factory muzzle brake on it.

7mm STW with handloads using Berger 180 VLD's should do exactly what you want it to do with no issues.

Quote: