Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help with my Savage 12 Long Range Precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: Help with my Savage 12 Long Range Precision

I have experience with a couple different EGW one piece bases and like them.

a 30mm tube will have more adjustment than a 1" tube, but ideally you would select a MOA base that allows you to look through the middle of your scope near the ranges you will be shooting at, but in short yes, 30mm tube offers more adjustment and 35mm has even more adjustment.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTE View Post
Thanks for the advice fellas.
I think I might try a 105 berger. BC .532 I believe what do you guys think? I have a elite 4200 on my swift but will a 30 mm tube give me more adjustment for longer shots? And is a BR primer just a cci 200 that is made by their best guys, are they better, more consistent? Any ring and base ideas. I know I can spend alot on ferrels or something like those but is there a good one piece picatinny that will do the job that wont cost nearly 10% of my tuition? Also dies? for the swift I got a 3-piece redding type s set of dies. Is this necessary for the 243?

The simple answer is such, the better your equipment, the better your results. However do to my budget I have found equipment that works equally as well as the more expensive stuff. EGW makes a very solid, aluminum 1pc. base that I have been using for 3 years. They cost 39.99. Rings that I have used and work well are the Burris XTR, and Signature Z rings. I like both. I currently own a set of Weaver Tactical that are a lot sturdier than what they feel like when you are holding them in your hand.

As far as a 30mm tube having more adjustment? It depends on the company and scope. Generally the higher the magnification the less adjustment you have. Nikon's seem to have a lower MOA availability vs some others. Not sure why that is. Vortex, Millet, Night Force, IOR, and Leupold all have decent adjustment. The Millet LRS has somewhere in the neighborhood of 140MOA of elevation. It has a 35mm tube. Do some research. Usually scope manufacturers have data listed as to how many MOA are available in each model. Using a 20MOA base will allow the lower MOA count scopes to achieve most distances out to 1000yds.

Here is a good read on primers. Primers and Pressure Analysis by James Calhoon Daily Bulletin

Competition primers like the 210M's and BR2's are suppose to be more consistent and tend to be a little hotter. However you just have to try different primers and see what happens. One primer may produce a flier, but changing primers with the exact same load will produce a consistent group. Reloading can be frustrating, but satisfying once you nail that perfect combination.

For dies, the competition are the best route to go. They offer more in the way of custom sizing. I on the other hand can't justify the cost of a micrometer bullet seating die. They make bullet seating easier, but with a little practice the regular dies work just as well. I do like the Lee and Redding dies.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 04-28-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

I'm thinking about getting one of these rifles in a 243, and was wondering if anyone has any updates on them.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

I have an LRPV in a 22-250 w/ the 12 twist barrel. Couldn't be happier. Bug holes all day long with several different load combinations. They are just plain good shooting rifles.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

I have one in .260. I am still working up loads but so far got it to half inch 5 shot group. Give the .260 some thought. I love mine.