Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help Me Decide on this Scope Dilema.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help Me Decide on this Scope Dilema.

You already have a good scope, and nothing is wrong with a B&C reticule, use it for quick hold over and wind, get a M1 turret or a lower profile moa CDS turret, both work the same, make a drop chart and dial for longer shots and more time, or get the cds to match your cartridge. O n my 257 w/ b&C Reticule, I dial off last small hash w/moa cds dial. I rifles with b&c and cds, moa and custom, mildot reticule also.I also have mil/mil
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Bronze Member

That is an idea I've kicked around as a suggestion given to me by a friend on this site. I think that idea of using the B&C is sound but I'm worried about wind compensation the most. That's why i'm trying to get a reticle where I can have hold off instead of cranking.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

The mil version Art is very similar to my TMR

Last edited by sp6x6; 02-15-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum61 View Post
Good idea.

Just talked to Leupold Custom shop. The Custom Windage dots are in R&D right now but the HORUS reticles will be available by summer. So I'll just go that route if I can.
This is deja vu. I spoke to the Leupold Custom shop on Monday about the same thing. Could they put the Greybull style windage reticle in my 6.5 - 20 LR/T or could they do anything like it? The answer was no, but perhaps if people keep bothering them, they will hurry up a solution. I ended up changing the target turrets to M1 style and changing the dot reticle to a standard Duplex. If I can remember that the adjustments are opposite of my service rifle I should be OK, but I really think it would be much faster to dial elevation and have a reticle with 1 or 2 MOA windage marks to compensate for wind.

I also sent a NIB 3.5-10 CDS to have a CDS windage knob installed. I think I am going to like that scope with the low profile of the CDS knobs.

If anyone has any comment concerning the above, I would appreciate it.

Dan
Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Check out Darrel Hollands ART Reticle. Might be just what you are lookin for.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

If you go with the TMR in mil Kenton can make you matching turrets in mil for a mil/mil set up. I like the precission of MOA but have gone to mil/mil for consistancy and ease of adjustment between loads as opposed to a custom dial. FYI the TMR works great for windage.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig View Post
If you go with the TMR in mil Kenton can make you matching turrets in mil for a mil/mil set up. I like the precission of MOA but have gone to mil/mil for consistancy and ease of adjustment between loads as opposed to a custom dial. FYI the TMR works great for windage.
I checked with Leupold Custom Shop yesterday and they said etching MIL marks on an MOA would be "dirty" accurate to about 500yards but there would be an exponential variance because of how the 2 are calculated. Great guy to talk to, extremely intelligent.

I think I'm going with the TMR. After calculating my drop in MIL the hashes in .5 MIL increments go: 275,300,375,400,500,550,610,675... and then it goes into .2 increments. Sounds good to me to have quick references out to 550-600 range and then I'll click from there. I've found deer feel comfortable more times than not at 700 and further.

Now it's just a decision between a capped Target turret or an M1. I'm leaning Target for ethical reasons. My thought is that the turret would be used for 650+ targets and if I don't have enough time to take them off for the shot, I shouldn't be shooting.