Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help me decide on a new rifle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Help me decide on a new rifle!

OK,

As of right now, I have EXACTLY 1 yes that is ONE rifle, (well, I have a Beeman Air Rifle, but that doesn't count). That rifle is my Grendel.

I got out of the gun habit years ago, keeping only my Ruger .40 handgun.

I am slowly working my way back into the game, and I'm trying to decide on rifle number 2.

I love the fact that I can go to the range and I'm the only guy there with a Grendel, (unless my friend who I talked into buying one is with me!)

I've considered a .17HMR, but I think I want something that can reach out even farther than the Grendel, and I, unlike many of you here, DON'T have more rifles than I need!

So help me out, what should my next rifle be? I know that I don't want it to be a .308, 30-06, 7mm or similar.

I am strongly considering an AR-30 in Lapua .338, or even a custom rifle in one of the true high power wildcats like .338 EDGE, or Allan Magnum, but I trust you guys will steer me right.

This will mostly be a range gun, but I need the weight under 12 pounds so that scoped it will be under 15 pounds and eligible to hunt with.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 07-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Welcome back to hunting. You could help us if you would share with us what game you intend to hunt and what the longest shoot you think you might be willing to take.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

I would seriously look at one of Kirby's Allen mags. I would also have Kirby build your rifle too!

Wildcat
Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Any long range hunting I do would be most varmints to help out farming friend and predators such as coyotes for the same reason.

My wife won't eat wild game, and I won't kill it if we don't eat it. She has a pretty discerning palate, and although she has no qualms about eating meat, she likes hers to be very mild, leaving out most game animals.

I have tried to sneak moose and elk in there, no luck!

She has tried buffalo, and liked it, but no where around here to shoot buffalo!!

If I go the high dollar route, it will be a .338 Edge (or similar) or a an Allen Mag, no doubt. My custom rifle will be built by either Shawn or Kirby, and I'll have one of each if I can afford it!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 07-29-2007, 10:35 PM

This is just my $.02.....I really like the .30 Hart and the .338 Hart... They are deadly accurate and can be easily built to under your weight limit.
I am not familiar with these gun builders you mentioned but am god friends with Bob Hart and he builds a fine rifle.....at a reasonable price www.rwhart.com
Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Gold Member

do you have reloading tools and have you ever reloaded? If you don't you my want to look at a 300RUM ,338RUM ,300WSM if you feel you need a large rifle. but if you are just going to shoot varmints i would be looking at a smaller round that there is a lot of good factory ammo for and a 243, 308 , 30-06 is going to be hard to beat. Kirby is sending my edge to me this week. but there not cheap to build are shoot. time every thing is done i will be at around 4500.00 for the rifle and scope before i ever shoot it. i can shoot my 243,308,300wsm a lot more for a lot less. with the edge are any AM you will have to reload for it and if you don't have the tools for it there goes another 500-700.00. but if you can reload and don't mind spending the money the edge is the way to go for you first custom and Kirby is guy to go with. I'm going to have him build me a 375AM next. like you said more guns than i need!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

How about a 338 Laupa Like the one that Shawn just built for me complete at 11.6 pounds

Last edited by jwp475; 07-30-2007 at 06:24 AM.