Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

help me decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 PM

help me decide

I know there is a lot of knowledge on this site so im hoping that someone can sway me one way or another.

First of all, im out west in Idaho and hunt it all from coues deer to moose. i recently sold a savage 300 ultramag and am now looking at something new. What i didnt like was the length of the barrel at 26 inches + a break but it did shoot sweet.

i am looking at a 300 weatherby sub MOA with a 24 inch barrel for 750.00 range or the sendero 300 ultra mag in the 1100-1200 range with a 26 inch barrel.

Can someone sway me one way or the other? besides the weight,price and barrel length. The weatherby wins in all categories there. price isnt that big of a deal but if they are equal, of course id like the extra coin.

Are there any pros and cons that are more in depth that a novice would overlook?

Thanks guys for any input in helping with the decision.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: help me decide

I am not a wby fan but the 300 wby has some advantages, less powder, almost identical ballistics, the disadvantage is wby's have short magazine boxes and free bore, If you plan to shoot barnes bullets that probably wont matter much as they are not very seating depth sensitive. I have owned both rifles you are talking about and my vote goes to the wby

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

based on your preferences...
24", sub-moa, save $300-400 for better optics
I'd go with the wby
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM

i already have the scope, Vortex PST and the Badger rings. Just need the rifle.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion23 View Post
I know there is a lot of knowledge on this site so im hoping that someone can sway me one way or another.

First of all, im out west in Idaho and hunt it all from coues deer to moose. i recently sold a savage 300 ultramag and am now looking at something new. What i didnt like was the length of the barrel at 26 inches + a break but it did shoot sweet.

i am looking at a 300 weatherby sub MOA with a 24 inch barrel for 750.00 range or the sendero 300 ultra mag in the 1100-1200 range with a 26 inch barrel.

Can someone sway me one way or the other? besides the weight,price and barrel length. The weatherby wins in all categories there. price isnt that big of a deal but if they are equal, of course id like the extra coin.

Are there any pros and cons that are more in depth that a novice would overlook?

Thanks guys for any input in helping with the decision.
You leave out a very important part of the equaition which is, realistically what are the maximum ranges you are planning to shoot?

If it's sub 600yards then go with a 300wsm in something like the winchester coyote outback.

If 1,000yds is in fact reasonable for you then you need to stick with something like the Rum and the Sendero platform.

If you want to eek out every fps and have the best combination of precision, range, and FPS/Energy then you need the big case, lots of powder, and enough barrel length and weight to take advantage of it.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You leave out a very important part of the equaition which is, realistically what are the maximum ranges you are planning to shoot?

If it's sub 600yards then go with a 300wsm in something like the winchester coyote outback.

If 1,000yds is in fact reasonable for you then you need to stick with something like the Rum and the Sendero platform.

If you want to eek out every fps and have the best combination of precision, range, and FPS/Energy then you need the big case, lots of powder, and enough barrel length and weight to take advantage of it.
Shoot at animals, probably 500 tops but would like to shoot targets up to 800 or a 1000 for fun.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion23 View Post
Shoot at animals, probably 500 tops but would like to shoot targets up to 800 or a 1000 for fun.
300WM or 300wsm then would do all you need then. As for barrel length/diameter for precision in general all else being equal the longer heavier barrels will give you better results.

It's really tought to beat The Sendero's without spending a hell of a lot more but I love the weight of the Winchester Mod 70 coyote series and I think they are making them in both the 300wsm and 300wm now. That 24" barrel which finishes at .75" is really sweet.