Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help me chose between these 3 bullets please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Help me chose between these 3 bullets please.

I'd go with the Nolser Ballistic Tips. The Game Kings have a pretty damn low BC. Quite the opposite with the Noslers. Out of the three I'd go with the Speers.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

I'm telling ya, you cant go wrong with the 110 gr Nosler accubond bullet. It has a high BC for that caliber, good controlled expansion and has good bullet retention. Also, it shoots well out of every 25-06 that I have seen it shot out of.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I'm telling ya, you cant go wrong with the 110 gr Nosler accubond bullet. It has a high BC for that caliber, good controlled expansion and has good bullet retention. Also, it shoots well out of every 25-06 that I have seen it shot out of.
And I'm telling you if they'd had the Accubond and Swift Scirocco when I was shooting my 25-06 I'd probably still own one HA!

Like I said it's hard to believe jus how far bullet technology has come along in the last twenty years or so. Even back then though Nosler had the superior performing bullets at least in my experience with them vs the Sierra or Speers.

Obviously a lot of folks have been real happy with both Sierra and Speer over the years I just never could get them to work as well for me as the Nosler and Hornady.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Obviously a lot of folks have been real happy with both Sierra and Speer over the years I just never could get them to work as well for me as the Nosler and Hornady.

I have had the same experience with the sierra and speer bullets as well (the hunting versions). They just dont have the BC that these newer bullets have. The bonded bullets are just awesome. These bullets like the accubond and the scirroco II beat the game kings and the speer bullets in ever category hands down.

I would use the scirroco II in the 25-06 but I wish they would make a heavier weight bullet for the .257. The nosler accubond being a 110 gr bullet is about the perfect medium between the light and the heavy .257 bullets. It has awesome expansion and penetrates enough to give you a pass through on deer sized game which will make a easier blood trail to follow if it does run a ways.

I am using the 115 gr VLD for the first time and am gonna try to get a mule deer with it and see how it does on game. I like the trophy size deer as much as anyone else but in the end, I want to eat the meat too. I dont want my bullet tearing up too much of what I want to eat. If this bullet doesn't pass for me then I am going with the accubond for sure.

Just my way of thinking.

Last edited by Korhil78; 10-13-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Silver Member

I'd try the 110 gr. Accubonds or the 120 gr. Partitions! Good luck.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I have had the same experience with the sierra and speer bullets as well (the hunting versions). They just dont have the BC that these newer bullets have. The bonded bullets are just awesome. These bullets like the accubond and the scirroco II beat the game kings and the speer bullets in ever category hands down.

I would use the scirroco II in the 25-06 but I wish they would make a heavier weight bullet for the .257. The nosler accubond being a 110 gr bullet is about the perfect medium between the light and the heavy .257 bullets. It has awesome expansion and penetrates enough to give you a pass through on deer sized game which will make a easier blood trail to follow if it does run a ways.

I am using the 115 gr VLD for the first time and am gonna try to get a mule deer with it and see how it does on game. I like the trophy size deer as much as anyone else but in the end, I want to eat the meat too. I dont want my bullet tearing up too much of what I want to eat. If this bullet doesn't pass for me then I am going with the accubond for sure.

Just my way of thinking.
I'm the same way. I want them stone dead with as little waste as possible.

My limited experience with the Sciroccos has me awfully high on them. I shot a pretty nice boar with the 180gr in the 300 RUM last weed at about 200yds so it was still smoking when it hit him.

Passed through both sheilds, both shoulders and the spine and made about a half dollar hole on the backside.

If we'd had some light and a camera I'd have taken pictures to send them.

Tagged a coyote with the same at a little over 700yds through both shoulder blades just under the spine with about a quarter sized hole on the same gut pile early the next morning.

That kind of terminal performance combined with the high BC is just awesome.

With a little luck I'll get a shot or two at some deer this fall with them as well.

I'm going to go ahead and get some for the .260 as well as soon as I can get them in.

So far it's the best game bullet I've come across.