Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help me choose a powder for lr hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

Help me choose a powder for lr hunting

I am about to work up a load for my 7mm rem mag for long range hunting. I have 1200 or so Fed 210 large rifle match primers that I would like to use. I will be shooting the 168 accubond lr. 26" barrel.

I have narrowed my choices down to H4831, H1000, and Retumbo.

I just wondered if ya'll had some insight as to which powder would provide the most consistant results with these particular primers and bullet weight.
I've heard that some powders ignite better with non-magnum primers than others. Is there any reason that Retumbo wouldn't do well...like it is a really slow burning powder?

I know that every rifle is different, but please share your experiences and advice.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

Re: Help me choose a powder for lr hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbleservant View Post
I am about to work up a load for my 7mm rem mag for long range hunting. I have 1200 or so Fed 210 large rifle match primers that I would like to use. I will be shooting the 168 accubond lr. 26" barrel.

I have narrowed my choices down to H4831, H1000, and Retumbo.

I just wondered if ya'll had some insight as to which powder would provide the most consistant results with these particular primers and bullet weight.
I've heard that some powders ignite better with non-magnum primers than others. Is there any reason that Retumbo wouldn't do well...like it is a really slow burning powder?

I know that every rifle is different, but please share your experiences and advice.

I am running H1000 for the fact that my barrel is shorter then I would use for Retumbo powder. I only have a 24" barrel and Retumbo is slower and I don't get very good velocity with it.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

Retumbo will probably get you better speeds, but it's difficult to know for sure as there isn't a ton of load info out there yet on the LR Accubond.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

H1000 or Retumbo will give you good results although I would use 215s not 210s
Old 06-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

I would recommend 215's also. What powder works best will vary from rifle to rifle. The only way to find out is to try both. I would lean to Retumbo. It should get you near max case capacity with that bullet and probably better velocity.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Over the past 20 years my go-to powder for the 7 mag has been H4831. I read as much about H1000 though.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 AM
Gold Member

I would start with H1000 as the Retumbo tends to need compressed loads to better it by any real amount . Use magnum primers also .
Try them all eventually as you never know which will shoot best .
Accuracy and velocity is a balancing act . Maximum velocity may not give max accuracy .