Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help me build my first lounge range rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Help me build my first lounge range rig

Saved you some time, here is the link: My New 300 Win Build

Broz would still be a great person to talk to for load data, etc. He has always been extremely helpful to me. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

+ one for talking to broz. If you pm him he will help you out I am sure. He has helped me out more rhan a few times. There is alot about his rifle on the thread comparing the 210 vld to 215 hybrid also.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
Well first of all, congratulations on graduating college in one year!!! It took me a hell of a lot longer than that! Lol, j/k (I'm sure the circumstances were a little different than the post shows) .
Thank you, I took a construction techniques course, which included interior and exterior finishes, framing, and roofing. Really great course. I do have to now start an apprenticeship which will go on for 3-4 years, minus the hours clocked while in school so normally stage 1 of my apprenticeship.

I have spoken with broz around a year ago and helped me put together the details when I almost pulled the trigger on the build before school. I was hoping to talk to him again to possibly touch up some details on this one and get at it. I know I won't have a build done for this season so as long as I get it for next year around spring, summer I'll be okay. I love broz build but I love the mcmillan a3 stock and because the stock weighs more i figured drop 2" on the barrel. To just cut a little weight. I will talk to him and hopefully see what he says.

I'm going talk to a few smiths in Canada and US to see what they personally suggest for actions as I am unable to decide due to the lack of experience with a custom action.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

I'm a 7mm fan. If you havent started your build yet, may want to consider the 7mm. I don't think you'll see any felt recoil between the two, but wind drift, bullet trajectory, and KO is better on the 7mm than the 300. At least at distant targets.(I guess depending on your bullet of choice). When I ran the numbers on my 7RUM.

I'm having a Allen Mag built right now, and I looked at all calibers. Unless I got up into the cheytac catagory, or Allens big 338. I couldn't find anything that even came close to the 7mm. And actually KO was the only benefit to going to the larger caliber.(that I could see)

I am fairly new to this, and I hear alot of guys saying 338 caliber for elk past 1000. And enough talk about it that I'm sure they're right. But I'm sticking to the 7mm.

Might be worth your time to look into it, if you haven't already.
I was shooting a 180 vld at almost 3300fps. Peolpe say that isn't so, but the chrony and my ballistics say it is. This from a factory sendero II. And we had 9 kills last year from 250-1015. whitetail,muledeer,and elk. Which may be why I'm stuck on the 7mm.

Food for thought....
Old 05-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

There is an old saying that "kinda" holds true in many respects, there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmossy View Post
I'm a 7mm fan. If you havent started your build yet, may want to consider the 7mm. I don't think you'll see any felt recoil between the two, but wind drift, bullet trajectory, and KO is better on the 7mm than the 300. At least at distant targets.(I guess depending on your bullet of choice). When I ran the numbers on my 7RUM.

I'm having a Allen Mag built right now, and I looked at all calibers. Unless I got up into the cheytac catagory, or Allens big 338. I couldn't find anything that even came close to the 7mm. And actually KO was the only benefit to going to the larger caliber.(that I could see)

I am fairly new to this, and I hear alot of guys saying 338 caliber for elk past 1000. And enough talk about it that I'm sure they're right. But I'm sticking to the 7mm.

Might be worth your time to look into it, if you haven't already.
I was shooting a 180 vld at almost 3300fps. Peolpe say that isn't so, but the chrony and my ballistics say it is. This from a factory sendero II. And we had 9 kills last year from 250-1015. whitetail,muledeer,and elk. Which may be why I'm stuck on the 7mm.

Food for thought....
Yes I have put some thought into it. I don't believe one round is actually better then the other at 1000 yards. Now I know no other 7mm will get 3300 fps even with a 30" tube so when you compare what I should be getting with a 26" tube closer to 3000 fps and the win mag with 210vld will due close to 2900-2950 which at 1000 will be close to the same and in the end a little bigger hole is nice. I love the 7mm mag, and wish mine was getting 3300 fps as I am not as lucky as you. But what it really comes down too is as much as I love the 7mm, I am a bigger fan of the winny. Only reason Im going to go with it.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
Yes I have put some thought into it. I don't believe one round is actually better then the other at 1000 yards. Now I know no other 7mm will get 3300 fps even with a 30" tube so when you compare what I should be getting with a 26" tube closer to 3000 fps and the win mag with 210vld will due close to 2900-2950 which at 1000 will be close to the same and in the end a little bigger hole is nice. I love the 7mm mag, and wish mine was getting 3300 fps as I am not as lucky as you. But what it really comes down too is as much as I love the 7mm, I am a bigger fan of the winny. Only reason Im going to go with it.
Actually there are lots of folks reaching those kinds of velocities with 26" barrels with the 7mmSTW caliber, which is more efficient than the 7RUM (VERY close velocities and energy w/ less powder consumption, and lower recoil), and has better barrel life. You could always run a 28" 1:9 barrel and shoot the 180 Bergers out of the STW and get some excellent performance even beyond the 1K mark. Alot of folks underestimate the 7mm calibers, however, they can be just as effective and efficient killing machines. However, if .30 caliber is what you want, go for it, will have a good 1K gun no matter which direction you go.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.