Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help me build my first lounge range rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Help me build my first lounge range rig

Hello, I need some help building a custom rifle that will be used for mainly long range hunting with some target shooting too. Almost a year ago I was pretty much settled on a build but then was accepted to college an had to use the money for that instead. I have since graduated from college and back working. I would like some help with putting a build together for my needs. What I would like to finish up with is a large enough caliber to do the job with preferably no break so small enough not to need one. I'm pretty set on a 300. Win mag shooting 210-230 Berger vld's. I would like to keep this gun at a decent weight. Hopefully 12-13lbs or less. I picked up a nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm scope for the build before school. Right now I'm thinking about this for the rest of the build; Remington 700 blue printed action or stiller tac 300, 26" #4-5 contour Broughton or Brux barrel (26" #4-5 to keep weight down), timney trigger, McMillian a3 stock in 60%black, 20%od 20% light tan and pillar bedded obviously.

Is there any suggestions, tweaks, changes, you guys have for this build. Any and all advice is appreciated. I will be hunting moose, whitetail, and elk mainly with the furthest shot most likely being 700-800 yards. But would like to shoot out too 1000.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Help me build my first lounge range rig

It sounds as if you are on the right track. No suggestions on the equipment other than allowing or finding time for practice once you have your rifle together.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

Thanks,

I currently have 2 factory rifles with my reloads do very well out too 500-600 yards but I'm ready to step up my game a little and a rifle to help me do it.

What do you suggest for action?
I was thinking of either stiller tac 300 or a Remington 700 blueprinted. My only other options seem to be BAT or defiance. I am limited being a resident of Canada. But what do you suggest for actions.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Any of the actions will work. I know some have personal preferences and this is what usually determines the direction. I'm not sure about Canada but in the US you can pick up a used 700 for a decent price, strip everything except the action and start from scratch. If $s aren't an issue any of the other actions will be a good choice.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

When it comes to choosing between a Tac300 or Rem700, the difference in cost is minimal. Because the cost of blueprinting a Rem700 action + the cost of the action is about the same as buying a Tac300. The place where the advantage goes to the Tac300 is if you ever want to sell the action/rifle. The Tac300 will retain its value better.

Also, even with a 13lb weight restriction, I think you can go with a heavier profile barrel than a #5 and still be able to stay within your weight limit.

The only other recommendation I would make for your build would be to consider a Jewell trigger rather than a Timney. I've used them both and really prefer the Jewell.

The rifle you are building is similar to my rifles:

My 260 by MCR

My 300RUM by MCR
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
When it comes to choosing between a Tac300 or Rem700, the difference in cost is minimal. Because the cost of blueprinting a Rem700 action + the cost of the action is about the same as buying a Tac300. The place where the advantage goes to the Tac300 is if you ever want to sell the action/rifle. The Tac300 will retain its value better.

Also, even with a 13lb weight restriction, I think you can go with a heavier profile barrel than a #5 and still be able to stay within your weight limit.

The only other recommendation I would make for your build would be to consider a Jewell trigger rather than a Timney. I've used them both and really prefer the Jewell.

The rifle you are building is similar to my rifles:

My 260 by MCR

My 300RUM by MCR
Is there a big upside to going with a higher contour barrel vs the #5. I am leaning towards a custom action vs the rem 700 but it's still an option
Old 05-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
Almost a year ago I was pretty much settled on a build but then was accepted to college an had to use the money for that instead. I have since graduated from college and back working.
Well first of all, congratulations on graduating college in one year!!! It took me a hell of a lot longer than that! Lol, j/k (I'm sure the circumstances were a little different than the post shows)

Anyway, if I were you I would PM Broz. He has a 300 WM with the same scope you have and, let's just say he does okay with it . If it were me, I would copy the exact build he has and launch the 215 Hybrids at over 3,000 fps. You can find his build in a thread on here as well, but I am not sure exactly what the title of it was.