close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help the Marine Corps decide on a new caliber for their sniper rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Bronze Member

Barrett Light 50

I was not a sniper in the Army, was a door gunner. I now own a Barrett Light 50, as far as I am concerned it is the best long range rifle out there. I am sure there are people with alot more knowledge than I do but after shooting this rifle I would not want to use anything else. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Unread 12-07-2007, 07:27 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    I was not a sniper in the Army, was a door gunner. I now own a Barrett Light 50, as far as I am concerned it is the best long range rifle out there. I am sure there are people with alot more knowledge than I do but after shooting this rifle I would not want to use anything else. Just my 2 cents worth.
    You've found something that you like. Good for you. I like the Timberwolf in .338LM. Good for me.

We should get together and swap to see if we like each other's, if we do, good for us!

We are neighbours. I'll have to come to you, because the Barret Light 50 is prohib by name.

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.

Unread 12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
    Bronze Member

338 Lapua Magnum

I agree with Brent, I also have an AR 30 in 338 Lapua Mag. It is light enough enven to be fieldable. I am nearly 50 years old and can carry it 6-8 miles a day in the mountains on hunting trips. It is light enough to shoot offhand if you have to. It is inexpensive to acquire, and shoots just great, hardly any kick... but a bit on the loud side.

After just a few practice sessions, I took an Oryx at over 700 yards. I am sure a pro with more practice would have no problems out to a mile or so.

Steve
    Unread 12-09-2007, 03:58 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lapua Hunter View Post
    I agree with Brent, I also have an AR 30 in 338 Lapua Mag. It is light enough enven to be fieldable. I am nearly 50 years old and can carry it 6-8 miles a day in the mountains on hunting trips. It is light enough to shoot offhand if you have to. It is inexpensive to acquire, and shoots just great, hardly any kick... but a bit on the loud side.

After just a few practice sessions, I took an Oryx at over 700 yards. I am sure a pro with more practice would have no problems out to a mile or so.

Steve
    I'm 58 (a lot closer to 59) and the kit in my post is 34 1/2lbs, with the rilfe (as pictured) but mag empty (5rds) is 16 1/2lbs. It wouldn't be a too much of a problem humping that.

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.
    Unread 12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
    Gold Member

Problems

Hi the 50's will never be general issue to many limitations.

The 408 based cases won't either it is just a fact.

The lapua is the biggest that could be considered but the Edge would probably beat it in trials as it could be loaded in the US with US components and would cost a lot less than the Lapua. Remington would supply cases with Military head stamps no problems but it has issues for general issue.

Remember military Snipers have a diferent role that a hunter. if you injure a person they will have a damaged moral just think your mate screaming next to you or someone dead it is worse if they are alive. It also takes at least two more of your enimy out of action as they have to look after them.

Now the things that would be required. Semi auto and bolt rifle capability with the option of upgrading existing weopons systems. EG AR10s M14s and Rem 700s. so a true short action case is required.

OK look at bore diameter if a 7mm 175gr MatchKing is fired out of the same as a 30cal 190gr the 7mm will have balistic advantages at 1500 yards if they are the Rem SAUM'S the 7mm is 45" flatter 3moa. that is worth looking at.

The AR10'S come in Rem SAUM'S not WSM's so I believe the 7mm Remington SAUM with a 175gr Sierra MatchKing would be a good compromise. it would mainly be used up to 1000 yards with the capability of 1500 yards on soft targets.

As for Hard targets a 338 Edge would be the best fit a new mag box, Barrel and Bolt and existing Remington bolt rifles in service could safley be deployed with a 300gr matchking or a API projectile this is the smalest diameter that is feasable to use incendery in so it would be also Sierra could also make a 300gr FMJ with the same BC for use against hard targets if penetration was an issue.

Cheers Bill
    Australia

Last edited by Wild_Bill; 12-09-2007 at 07:23 PM.
    Unread 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
    Platinum Member

Marine snipers are not trained to wound the enemy , they shot to kill every time. The old philosophy of crippiling a man so that it takes to of his comrads to help him , their by successufly taking out three enemies with one shot is long gone , and it only worked against the Americans anyway
    Unread 12-10-2007, 04:30 PM
    Bronze Member

Remington

Remington may have upped the stakes.

RemingtonMilitary.com