Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help the Marine Corps decide on a new caliber for their sniper rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Apologies but the .308 ought to do in this non expert's opine.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by silvertip-co; 12-06-2007 at 06:42 AM. Reason: foul mood

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Gold Member

338 Lapua or 375 CT get my vote
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

The 338 Lapua is already in use with alot of countries around the world as a precision rifle , either built by Accuracy Internatioal or Sako. the power is their with that round the data is their from many other contriesusing it. The 338 Lapua will probably be the next NATO-ized round.
In a 15lb suppressed rifle the recoil is very managable , the accuracy is great , the sound and site signature are both greatly reduced with the suppressor. The ammo seems to be pretty widely available seeing that its used by other countries.

Now if I were a sniper in Iraq right now with the possibility of the high volume shooting that can happen I'd like to know that my ammo would be alot more readly available from a high volume support weapon like the M2 with the 50 BMG rilfes or the M240 with the 308's , now granted it won't be match quality ammo you will be getting but at least it will go bang in your rifle and give you a chance.

I don't remember who built the gun , either Robar or McMillan , but a very short light weight 50BMG bolt rifle was made , it was in the area of 12-15lbs and the velocity loss with the short barrel was not as bad as expected. It was called a Desert Rhino if I'm not mistaken
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

Ya know, most of the posts sound great, however in my opinion the best thing for our military to do is to give the soldiers and marines permission to use what they have.

I mean an F16 is not effective if the pilot is not allowed to fly it.

Mike Alford
Unread 12-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Justgoharder,

I suspect my 375 AM will easily be able to drive a 380 gr SMK style bullet to 3200 fps in a 32" barrel, rather comfortably in fact.

The reason I think this is because my 338 AM will drive a 350 gr ULD RBBT to 3200 fps easily in this length barrel so with the larger bore diameter, less baring surface and faster burning powders, I suspect 3200 fps will be an easily reached velocity with my 375 AM and this class bullet, just need the bullets to prove my theory now!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Mikenc,

Oh they can fly them, they just can not shoot back at what is shooting at them.

I have a friend that is a Falcon pilot in the Montana ANG and he went over to Iragi a couple times before the war started up. He said they would patrol the no fly zone everyday.

He said the reason, basically from the sounds of it, they were bait!!! Hard to believe but let me explain. THey would be fired upon by SAMs all the time. Luckily the 16s technology is far above what the Iragis on the ground had for missiles. Anyway, they would get fired upon and radio it in and ask for permission to engage the fire location as firing on a US warplane is considered an act of aggression, no S___!

But now, they would be told to continue their patrol and then the ground crews would radio another jet to take out a predetermined target. Seems that one pilot would get shot at, then another somewhere far away would get permission to take out a target. Not sure how this works to be honest.

If you have a target you want to destroy, level the damn thing and let the boys protect themselves at the same time. Seems war has become to bogged down with rules of engagement and even those have been twisted against our troops.

I am in total agreement, If our boys need 1500 yard reach, give them what they need to ge the job done the most efficent and effective way possible.

The comment about the 308 will work, sure it may possibly reach that far and if it hits the target, human anyway, they will have a very bad day but why not give our boys the technology needed to give them a far superior advantage, especially if we send them off EXPECTING them to come back home.

Just does not seem to make sense anymore to be honest.

Its to bad its not like it was in WWII. Let the military fight the war, keep the damn press out of the war zone or at least prevent them from reporting until the damn thing is over. War is dirty and often ugly, the press is why the US citizens are not in favor of this war and its the politicians that are tieing our troops hands behind their backs or using them for bait.

Not right, this war would be over if the military was in charge. Hell, at this point, turning Iraq into a sheet of glass would be fine with me. No thats not politically correct but its what I feel.What we did was a good thing, what we are trying to do is a good thing, but its getting to the point that not another troops life is worth it anymore because the damn politicians are hell bent on using this for the next election. Very sad.

Alright, sorry for the derailment, back to the subject, sniper rifles.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

Kirby A

I agree, it's a shame "we"(being our politicians) send the men and women of our military over seas and expect them to fight a war without wounding or killing or sheading any blood other than our own. There is no politically correct way to fight a war.

Give the troops of the U.S. Military what they need and let them do their jobs and this mess would be over in no time flat.

Mike Alford