Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help the Marine Corps decide on a new caliber for their sniper rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

This has been a great post.....lots of good info and educated opinions, I am glad it turned out the way it did when I started it. The two calibers I had in mind was a hotrod 7mm with a 180 gr. VLD type bullet or a .338 (Lapua or others) with a 300 gr. SMK.

I like the idea of the smaller, lighter, package the 7mm could fit into, the reduced signature would be a nice feature also. When shooting people at long range all you have to do is hit them, blowing a big hole in them or worrying about being able to reach the vitals is not a big concern. People know when they have been shot and the ramifications that come along with it.

The .338 was a little more popular choice than I thought it would be, I knew it would get some votes but not this many.

I would like to see the Marine Corps build 10 of each and then decide after a very thorough testing.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Weda

Up until this last offensive.. if you will. How oftern would the sniper engage a soft target to 1500 yards?

The Birits made use of the 338 Lapua quite well. BUt the cost to outfit all the snipers with this would be outtrageous.

1000 yards seems like it would serve as a mean of sorts. Given there are opportunties to engage targets farther but how often?

Not really a mention of the 300wsm will easily launch a 175 to 190 gr projectile with 1200 yard accuracy and be much more cost effective than the 300wm or the 338LM.

Powder capacity less than both and Winchester Brass is much more cost effective.

I myself have had several 300wsm builtin tactical configurations on a SA in the HTG, A3 and A5 stocks. All work wonderfully well. BDL and Mag fed too.

With an AI mag system your can have 3 in the mag one in the pipe with the10 round you can have 7 in the mag. I imagine the mages could be altered a bit to fit 5 and 10.

seems much more logical from all view points
Old 01-29-2008, 05:41 PM

Another vote for the 338 Lapua.

I just sold my HS Precision Professional Hunter Rifle to purchase the Take-Down model of the same version, great rifle at 8 1/4 lbs before scope, bi-pod, etc. I know HS Precision has gotten some contracts with other agencies.

Tons of energy to get thru body armor and such out past 1000 yrds.

They manufacture all components of their rifles in house and therefore have total control over components and quality. They have their tactical models at around 11 lbs before stuff, that my suit the Sniper with the heavier barrels for better accuracy during training. I doní see the heavier barrel making that much difference in the field since your going for one shot one kill, but I guess if you need a bunch of follow up shots the heavier barrel would help. I sure like the lighter weight while packing all day in the Oregon Rocky Mts. My 2 cents
Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Ah what the heck, even though I'm way behind in knowledge and experience, and it seems this has been beat to death, hear's my opinion

Specs for mil are:
1) fill the gap between 50 and .308
2) light weight
3) battlefield durability and dependability
4) barrel life
5) standard round

I think the obvious choise is the 338 Lapua or the 300 win mag because they fit the criteria and they have been used in the past by the military.
I love the WSM and other steep shoulder cases, but the truth is that they could pose problems when chambering in adverse conditions.
I love the Idea of having a super fast bullet, but the snipers need to be able to fire thousands of rounds on a barrel.

Howzat for beating a dead horse
Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

More good points Weda, I know the Marines keep stats on how far their shots are in a combat environment. I "think" a rifle that will shoot to an acceptable level of accuracy to approx 1200 yards in a variety of atmospheric conditions would be the best choice. 1500-2000 yard shots are "probably" so rare it would not make since to develop a rifle with this requirement.

There would need to be other factors involved when choosing a rifle / caliber combination than just how far away a target can be engaged; how pack-able, signature, barrel life, ammo availability, etc, etc.....all would need to be fettered out in testing.

No need to worry about being able to shoot through body armor. Almost any rifle will shoot through soft body armor at any range you could hit someone at anyway.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
Ah what the heck, even though I'm way behind in knowledge and experience, and it seems this has been beat to death, hear's my opinion

Specs for mil are:
1) fill the gap between 50 and .308
2) light weight
3) battlefield durability and dependability
4) barrel life
5) standard round

I think the obvious choise is the 338 Lapua or the 300 win mag because they fit the criteria and they have been used in the past by the military.
I love the WSM and other steep shoulder cases, but the truth is that they could pose problems when chambering in adverse conditions.
I love the Idea of having a super fast bullet, but the snipers need to be able to fire thousands of rounds on a barrel.

Howzat for beating a dead horse
I agree, either the .338 or .300 Winchester would be a good choice and much better than the current .308. In a perfect world I think a 7mm with a 180 vld "might" be a better one though.......
Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM

why dosent the the marine corps adopt the m24? on the remington website there is the new m24 in 338 lapua just a thought