Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

help with long range caliber...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
For a 1K elk rifle, I think you made the right choice.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

Run your own balistics through a balistic program like JBM. You can compare for yourself and make the decision that you want.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:57 AM

Re: help with long range caliber...

I have worked with most of those calibers and recoil is an issue. Are you recoil shy? If that is the case I would go with the 7mm Mag . There is no notable difference in power or accuracy and not as picky as the 7WSM. These days technology is so great you can go with a lighter rig and get great results and not need a gun bearer to help you carry it. This makes for a more duel purpose rig.Hope this helps
Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire fox View Post
I have worked with most of those calibers and recoil is an issue. Are you recoil shy? If that is the case I would go with the 7mm Mag . There is no notable difference in power or accuracy and not as picky as the 7WSM. These days technology is so great you can go with a lighter rig and get great results and not need a gun bearer to help you carry it. This makes for a more duel purpose rig.Hope this helps
For anything from the 300 Rum on down, recoil isn't much of an issue at all unless you are shooting a pretty light rig and don't have a decent muzzle brake.

A good muzzle brake will reduce felt recoil by half or more and with the addition of inertial recoil reducers (mercury recoil reducers in particular) it's just not an issue for anyone who's not terribly recoil sensitive.

You can easily reduce the felt recoil of the 300 Rum to that of about a 308 just with a decent brake, and the 300wm or wsm's can be toned down to about that of a 243 very easily the same way.

Add the mercury recoil reducer to that and they can get very pleasant to shoot in a hurry.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

If you are torn between a 7 and a .338, have you given any thought to a 30? You have the best bullet selection available with less recoil than a 338 and more pop than a 7. Here is an example: My 30/375 S.I. will launch a 215 Berger at 3050 with accuracy and if you use Bergers data, will have 1000 ft. lbs. at 1600 yards and 1800'/sec.(which Berger claims expansion) at 1200 yards. If you run the numbers against the 7 and .338, I think you will be impressed.......Rich