Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help Building Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Re: Help Building Rifle

Does anyone have an opionion on the 5R vs conventional 4 groove rifling on the krieger barrels?

What about the light palma vs. #4 contour? WildRose - what would be the advantage of a Sendero contour over these?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help Building Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapiti07 View Post
Does anyone have an opionion on the 5R vs conventional 4 groove rifling on the krieger barrels?
Kreiger is doing 5R rifling now but even they will tell you that they are not convinced of any real benefit to it over the conventional rifling.

Quote:
What about the light palma vs. #4 contour? WildRose - what would be the advantage of a Sendero contour over these?

Thanks
Personally I like the Sendero contour very much vs a straight taper. The difference between various contours performance wise other than the straight bull barrel is pretty much imperceptable to most shooters.

I want more meat at the end of the barrel than the standard hunting/sporter contours give (too whippy) but don't see any benefit in taking a 16-20lbs rifle on a hunting trip. They are great off of the bench or setting up prone when your shooting position is easy to get too but they'll wear your ass out if you have to lug them very far.

No question that longer and heavier barrels give you more stability which helps with accuracy and precision where all else is equal, but yes, there's a trade off in the ease/comfort of carrying them.

Last edited by WildRose; 08-26-2011 at 11:08 AM.