Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help with 280ai build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Bronze Member

Help with 280ai build

Going to build a 280ai and have decided on fluted Brux#4, because i have it already...for rest what would you suggest?

Action. Stiller, Pierce, other
Stock. A3 sporter, Gamescout, other
Trigger. Timney or Jewel
Bottom Metal. Box or Hinged Floor plate
Muzzle break. ? But I want it removable with optional thread protector

Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Help with 280ai build

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctta View Post
Going to build a 280ai and have decided on fluted Brux#4, because i have it already...for rest what would you suggest?

Action. Stiller, Pierce, other
Stock. A3 sporter, Gamescout, other
Trigger. Timney or Jewel
Bottom Metal. Box or Hinged Floor plate
Muzzle break. ? But I want it removable with optional thread protector

Thanks
OK, well, budget is first. What is your top end, and what should that budget include?
Does that budget include: action, stock, trigger, bottom metal, scope, reloading supplies?

For me, I would build a Remington 700 action. Yes, the custom actions are cool, but a decent smith can build the Remington 700 every bit as accurate as a clone.

Stock, I prefer an HTG style stock for hunting purposes. McMillian or Manners, take your pick.

Trigger, Timney all the way to the back and taxidermist/butcher.

Bottom metal: bdl everyday of the week.

Muzzle break? Depends on the overall weight of the rifle. But a Vias would do the trick nicely.

Thanks

Jason Klein
Grim Reaper Tactical
541-281-0011
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

I don't really have a budget in mind. I figure the action is $1000, stock $500, barrel flutted and fitted $700, Trigger $200,break $150, $300 is on Bdl setup, scope, rings, bases $1000...so I figure im in the $3700-4000 ball park
Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

I am a big fan of Pierce actions. I don't think you can go wrong with one. That said, I don't hear of many complaints surrounding any of the top-tier actions.

I have a fairly light set-up in 280 AI, and I have found the recoil surprisingly mild. I have not once wished it wore a brake. I have an un-braked 300WSM that I have grown to hate shooting, because it pounds me and i flinch like a little girl, so it is safe to say I am not amazingly recoil tolerant.

For a trigger, I don't think you can beat a Jewell. I have an M70 with a Timney and it is a nice trigger -BUT- my personal preference is Jewell and its not even close.

Stock and bottom metal are IMO a personal preference thing. Try out some different stocks and see what style you prefer.

Good luck with your build!