Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Help with .243 situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Bronze Member

Help with .243 situation

I purchased a 700 VTR about a month ago, to used as coyote/pig gun and targets for fun. I wasn't real impressed with how it shot 100 gr federal blue box, which is all gun shop had on hand when I bought it. I have since gathered components to work up some hand loads, and switched scopes to a nice Conquest 4.5-14X50. I'm ready to sight in and work up a load, but am know thinking of replacing stock with a B&C medalist first.

On a different note, this gun seems to have a ton of freebore. Like .33". Anywhere close to lands not possible. This concerns me, but I was assured by gun shop where I purchased these guns will shoot well.

Long post I know, here are my questions for those with more experience than me:

1. B&C medalist good idea?

2. Free-bore concerns? Possibly having to have barrel set back and re-chambered?

3. Should I be looking to sell gun and pick up something else or just start into this one and do whatever it takes to make it shoot?

Last edited by Teh Fixer; 12-09-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Help with .243 situation

If it was me! I'd start with some reloads & find something that shot well! Don't worry about the free bore yet! When you find a good combo work with it & see what happens!

Start small!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Its a rather oddball rifle with a bunch of (pricey) add on features ? V shaped barrel, integral break, overmold stock... Have you had the stock off the action yet ? Does it have a full length aluminum bedding block in there or is it just an overmolded SPS type stock ?

Remingtons that I have owned have always needed the trigger worked on / replaced (the Shilen trigger is the least expensive and a huge improvement and is sold at midway/brownells). Then was the stock. The Remington site does not mention an aluminum overmold and if there is none there, look at a laminate replacement, at least. One can hog out the fore-end to free float properly, but it needs a LOT of clearance due to the flex. The last SPS I had I cleared 1/16h of an inch so that it would remain free floated when on a bipod. Your model has a shorter barrel, so it would probably balance better than the 26" barreled SPS.

Finally, Remington generally had the worst factory barrels I have ever seen. TC probably being a close second if my Icon was anything to go by. The thing is that with a Remington, you need machining to accomplish anything and there are a lot of Remington owners keeping the better smiths occupied, especially the last couple of years. Lead times for barrels has gotten a lot longer than it used to be.

Having said all of that, shooting some factory loads (unless you experience a fluke) is normally a very poor way to judge the capability of a rifle. Trigger issues would be obvious regardless of the ammo. If the POI is constantly moving around, that points to bedding and the stock.

Certainly a single stage press, some dies powder primers and some Hornady SST bullets would be one place to start. I am using H100V Hodgdon powder in mine and it is a screamer. Even now you can buy H100V since it is not too well known. You will not be shooting 95gr or higher Bergers out that short tube with a 9.25 twist, I should know, my Savage 12 LPV had a 26" x 1:9.25 and it could not shoot them either. But the SST should work fine. Tune the load and seating depth and upgrade the trigger if needed and see where that takes you.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

I agree with Rev. I would do up some handloads and see how that works before changing the stock or even selling it. I don't think the free bore is an issue. Seems the barrel has a 9 1/8 twist so it should handle 100gn bullets well. Stock could be junk, but I would at least shoot some groups with handloads first.

Try some Nosler ballistic tips, they are usually pretty easy to tune and do not require a short jump.

I have a .243 that didn't shoot factory ammo well at all, but was very easy to work up handloads for.

You did not mention the actual size of the groups?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Bronze Member

Its been a month since I shot it but I believe the groups were in the 2" range, not real consistent at all. I think I will go ahead and get a B&C stock to get it fully free floated, then work handloads until I either get it to shoot or prove it needs more work . I have 70gr NBT's, 85 gr HPBT Sierras, 58gr Vmax and 75 gr Vmax. As mentioned above, I may look into some SST's as it seems the really long berger's will probably not stabilize. Thanks guys
Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post

3. Should I be looking to sell gun and pick up something else or just start into this one and do whatever it takes to make it shoot?

IMO, get a Savage and be done. Preferably the .243 in the Predator Hunter....

Last edited by Teh Fixer; 12-09-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't replace much. My first Remington I ended up changing everything on it before it shot. It's a cumbersome way to get where you want to go. Educational, but not all that satisfying.

You have just started, I"d wait and see how it progresses.

What are your accuracy goals, What would you be satisfied with? A straight up custom may be a better way to go than a piece meal approach.

Don't rule out some of the older style flat base bullets,. or the minimum tapered boat tails, sometimes bearing surface can be your friend.

Seat some past magazine length to help determine if "freebore" is as big an issue as you feel it is.