Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

HELP! 20 MOA base question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:27 PM

HELP! 20 MOA base question

Hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

I got in my Rem 700 Milspec (.308 win) this week and wanted to try it out at the range. I put a 20 moa pic rail on it and headed out in the wind today to get her sighted in fairly close.

Imagine my surprise when I was about 7 moa LOW at 100 yds. I was running Fed GMM (waiting on my dies) with 168 SMK. I zeroed it in relatively close, shot a 3 shot group and then called it a day to conserve ammo. I still have a lot to do to her yet (Timney, LOP increase, different rings, etc.).

Anyway, I got back home and pulled the base to measure the difference front to rear and came up with .080". I then leveled across the front of the receiver and measured down to the rear and got, yep, .080" giving me a 'flat' base!

This is my first experience with a canted base. Am I missing something here or was the base mispackaged at the factory? Shouldn't it be about .050" taller in the rear after mounting? Let me know your suggestions.

I asked this on another forum but figured I might get better/faster info here. Thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: HELP! 20 MOA base question

Where was you scope set, as far as elevation, was it near center or did you have to spin it up. If so, could you have had it installed backwards?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Chris,
You are correct!! I am not quialified to be posting on this! But common sense tells you that the whole reason for a canted base is to give yourself more elevation gain that your scope might of run out before you got dialed in on the spot!
I hope that I have not sterred you wrong. Just my 2 cents worth!
Greg
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 PM

AJ,

The scope was new from the factory (SWFA SS 10x42). I didn't spin to both extremes to ensure it was at the center of it's travel but according to the hash marks on the turret, it should have been centered.

There's no way to install it backwards (first thing I checked when I put it on!) so that can't be it.

Thanks for suggestions though.

Chris
Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dub View Post
AJ,

The scope was new from the factory (SWFA SS 10x42). I didn't spin to both extremes to ensure it was at the center of it's travel but according to the hash marks on the turret, it should have been centered.

There's no way to install it backwards (first thing I checked when I put it on!) so that can't be it.

Thanks for suggestions though.

Chris
You need to see where the scope is in relation to it's travel when the base is installed. If it is near the center at your expected range, then you are good to go. With a 20moa base at 100yds, it will probably be nearer the bottom of travel.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 AM

I am currently building a rifle right now and I put a 20 moa base and I could clearly see the difference between the front and rear of the base. My guess is your base was mislabeled.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dub View Post
Hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

I got in my Rem 700 Milspec (.308 win) this week and wanted to try it out at the range. I put a 20 moa pic rail on it and headed out in the wind today to get her sighted in fairly close.

Imagine my surprise when I was about 7 moa LOW at 100 yds. I was running Fed GMM (waiting on my dies) with 168 SMK. I zeroed it in relatively close, shot a 3 shot group and then called it a day to conserve ammo. I still have a lot to do to her yet (Timney, LOP increase, different rings, etc.).

Anyway, I got back home and pulled the base to measure the difference front to rear and came up with .080". I then leveled across the front of the receiver and measured down to the rear and got, yep, .080" giving me a 'flat' base!

This is my first experience with a canted base. Am I missing something here or was the base mispackaged at the factory? Shouldn't it be about .050" taller in the rear after mounting? Let me know your suggestions.

I asked this on another forum but figured I might get better/faster info here. Thanks for your help.

Chris
What was on it prior?

Did you change rings as well?

What base did you put on it?

What scope have you got?

Changing the height of the scope (Raising it) relative to the center line of the bore will make the rifle shoot considerably low at 100yds and will make an even bigger difference at 25yds.