Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Heavy rifle pack harness. Pics inc.. What do you all think ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
Montana,

Good question... I have been wearing a fanny pack that rides to one side of the middle. I dont think it would be that good with a pack mounted, but you may be able to sling your pack over the top ?? Not to sure. It really was designed without a pack in mind

I will be purchasing an eberlestock M3 pack shortly, but this idea has been great if you need to cover ground quickly and can ditch the kit and go hands free. Alot of times I might sneak in with only my gun and Geovids.

Cheers
A few years ago I was dating an Ozzie gal, you should have seen the look on her face the first time I said "fanny pack" !!

Where are you at DUH, I spent Christmas and New Years with friends in Sydney. Australia is one of the few countries I could live in besides the US, great people, food, culture.....and topless beaches !!

John
Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

I have my heavy hunting rifle set up in a similar way. I used the flush cup detachable swivels on the rear bottom and rear left side of the stock and the on the front left side of the stock, with a anschutz rail with a flush cup adapter on the bottom front of the stock. The rifle really carries well this way. I am using quick detach slings, so I can go from the backpack carrying configuration to the ready position extremely quickly.

This works really well when I pack light on stalks and partial day trips, but leaves something to be desired when I need to carry extra gear. I have not been able to get it to work well with a regular back pack. I tried using a fanny pack with it, but it changes the carry angle and is uncomfortable. I'm looking at trying a smaller fanny pack that I can carry in the front, or on the side, or modifying my current fanny pack with some sort of pouch to support the butt stock of the rifle, or possibly trying to find some kind of load supporting vest. Anyone have any other ideas?

One other thing that helps, is I now use an eagle stock pack on the rifle and try to wear cargo pocket pants. I can put essentials like a gps, lense wipes, extra ammo, a lighter, a small LED light, a compass, a boresnake, an energy bar, etc into the pack and pants pockets, incase a stalk turns into a day trip, as is sometimes the case.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine sniper View Post
A few years ago I was dating an Ozzie gal, you should have seen the look on her face the first time I said "fanny pack" !!

Where are you at DUH, I spent Christmas and New Years with friends in Sydney. Australia is one of the few countries I could live in besides the US, great people, food, culture.....and topless beaches !!

John
I'm located in the south east cnr of the country in the state of Victoria, right on the coast 3 hours east of Melbourne. Great place to live, nice people and great hunting 10 min from town.

I know what you mean about the "fanny pack thing " We call them a bum bag down here ! I can see the look on her face !

Cheers

DUH
Old 06-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm located in the south east cnr of the country in the state of Victoria, right on the coast 3 hours east of Melbourne. Great place to live, nice people and great hunting 10 min from town.

I know what you mean about the "fanny pack thing " We call them a bum bag down here ! I can see the look on her face !

Cheers

DUH
What do you hunt ? Roos?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

I like the three point hitch idea. I see a lot of Eberlestock rifle carryin type backpacks on tv now and they look great too, but I am so used to CARRYING my rifle dont know if I could hike with it in a scabbard. Your idea looks great for a heavy rifle. I just need to get a heavy rifle . Thx for posting.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Sniper,

We have lots of big game out here my friend. Six species of deer, plus all the other stuff like buffalo, pics etc

I like shooting the big stuff like Sambar deer. 600 lbs of raw muscle. Perfect for a big long range rig !

Cheers

DUH
Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Sniper,

We have lots of big game out here my friend. Six species of deer, plus all the other stuff like buffalo, pics etc

I like shooting the big stuff like Sambar deer. 600 lbs of raw muscle. Perfect for a big long range rig !

Cheers

DUH
Hmm, a good Mate of mine is a pilot with United (cheap tickets), I may have to hunt there one day.