Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Heading out in the morning for Dads elk hunt...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Heading out in the morning for Dads elk hunt...

Well, its finally here. The summer went very fast this year but it did seem like it took a long time to get here. We are heading out at 3:00 am in the morning for Nebraska for Dads early season elk hunt.

Talked to the ranch owner and the guide last night and he had some good news. Had a hunter come out last week and Wednesday he killed a 373" typical 6x6 and the guide said he has scouted two other bulls on the ranch that were noticably larger then this bull but the hunter just could not let a bull in this class pass, can not blame him.

Dad has been practicing all summer with his 270 Allen Magnum using some of the very last of the 195 gr ULD RBBT from the original Wildcat Bullet company. We have been practicing from 200 to 950 yards and in all the conditions we have been shooting in, Dad has been able to put the first shot out of a cold barrel within 1/2 moa of point of aim for the last couple months. Most of the variation has been windage errors but plenty close for any big game hunting.

That big 195 gr launched at 3120 fps should really hammer a big bull. I think I am just as excited as Dad for this hunt. I have been having visions of a +385" bull dancing around in my head at night for the past several weeks . In all honesty, if a mature 350" bull presents itself I will have to take the rifle away from Dad or he will shoot it. If the end of our hunt rolls around they we will certainly take a good bull like that but there are several very large bulls on the ranch so we will hold out best we can.

Its been exactly 40 years since Dad killed his last bull elk so hopefully this bull, likely Dads last will be worth the wait. Having him hunt with one of my Xtreme Sporters and use some of Richards original bullets just makes this even more special if it all comes together.

The ranch has a good population of Fallow deer as well so if I find a good one after Dad gets his bull down I may do some hunting but this is Dads hunt and I would be happy just coming home with a big bull for him. I will be on the camera all week which should be alot of fun.

Anyway, just a heads up, will be out of the shop possibly until end of next week so if you need to get ahold of me, please be patient, I will get back to you when I get back and will report on the results of the hunt!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Gold Member

Re: Heading out in the morning for Dads elk hunt...

Have a good hunt guys! Look forward to the results.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Good luck Kirby, I pray for a safe journey, properous hunt, the blessings of spending time with your dad.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

Treasure your time with your Dad...
Good luck!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

It doesn't get any better than going on a hunt like you are with your dad. I remember the last two big bulls you took and can't wait to see some pics of your dad's bull.

Good luck and have a safe trip.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Send best wishes for a safe, enjoyable and rewarding hunt. Al
Old 08-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Glad you get to hunt elk with your dad once more. Cherish it. I will have no more such opportunities with mine and I'm missing them.

Hope he can slay one of the big guys. Don't forget to post pics when you can.

Festus